Advice Please! Hen has shed intestinal lining for the last 3 days. Possible coccidiosis? Should I treat her?

The one photo shows excessive shed lining. That is cause for concern. When an older hen of mine was pooping out excessive lining, a few days in a row, I put her on an oral antibiotic and it cleared up.

It won't hurt to treat for coccidiosis since sometimes it inflames the intestinal lining and infection can set in then.

So, I suggest Corid and an antibiotic. You can use what you might have on hand for your chicken.

The hen is showing no signs of sickness last 3 days but I am getting more and more concerned since this has never happened before. I found some more lining in her most

I’m concerned about the poop coming from my hen. For the past 3 days, she has pooped out some droppings with lining in them. I will provide pictures below. Not all of the droppings had lining, only a few. I noticed that every morning, she will poop out a dropping that is a little bigger than her usual droppings. These droppings all had some lining attached to them. Her droppings in the morning are usually watery but turn solid later in the day. This morning, I found this in the coop.
View attachment 2688043
I am thinking of treating her with corid or a wormer. Should I be concerned?
definitely treat her for coccidiosis asap, the intestinal shedding in that one poop looks quite bad. my chicks had confirmed by a vet coccidiosis, their poops looked very similar to your first pic, and not every poop they did had the intestinal shedding in but it was in progressively more of their poops over time

A family member of mine was about to head to the store so I’m going to see if I could find some corid there. It might also be good to look for a antibiotic. The hen is doing fine for now but I’m not waiting any longer, it’s clear something is wrong.

I would go ahead and treat with Corid. It is safe and won’t hurt. Use the maximum dosage. Older hens who have immunity problems, or who are weak can sometimes have it, but it normally is a problem for young pullets. Worms sometimes can be a cause of blood or lining in the droppings, so worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard would be good to do at some point. If you want to treat with the antibiotic, that would be fine as well. Fish Mox is sometimes found at TSC on shelves in the animal medicines, or ask, but is easy to find online. Unless you spend a lot of money on a vet and lab work, it is best to treat symptoms of possible problems.

Are you sure? Corid isn't an antibiotic. It's just a thiamine blocker. You should be able to find it in feed stores.

You should probably ask a vet for an antibiotic as that lining could be the start of an infection. They could also get you the Corid if there's a law against that, too. If there is, it's just @#$%^&* ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom