Advice re Roosters, aged 9 months

Hornbeam

Chirping
Apr 3, 2019
Last year I lost my cockerel, Harry to a fox attack. It was horrendous to say the least. He was five years old and looked after my last two hens, who are now 4 and 6. They too were mortified by what happened. They have always been free range but after that I restricted where they went. Anyway, in my upset state and in memory of Harry, I decided to incubate some eggs and 3 out of 20 hatched. They all turned out to be roosters! From Harry with Love!? I did loads of reading up on them and what to expect, which is pretty much what I thought, unfortunately. However, up until this week they have all got on relatively well and have been quite inseparable. If one wasn't there they would go and find them. We've had a few feathers flying and squawking but nothing major. The girls were introduced to them when they were 3 weeks old and they have all lived together in the same run since the boys were 10 weeks old. At 14 - 16 weeks they went into the same coop at night with the girls and they all have slept together, in there, since. Unfortunately today has been an absolute nightmare as two of the boys have decided to fight like hell! It has been going on all day. I separated them. I put the one that seems to have been the boss from the start in with the two girls and left the other two together. I split their free range area and that was that. Peace again. The boy with the girls was quite upset that he couldn't be with the other boys and the other boys were upset they weren't with him. They've spent all afternoon making strange crying screeching noises but every time they got near each other, they started fighting again. It seemed to be more the other one starting it rather than the boss roo. They have made a real mess of each other and I feel I've spent all day cleaning their wounds. At bed time the girls wanted to go in at their normal time, so I put them in and put the boss roo in with them. Generally the 3 boys would just roam around after the girls had gone to bed but today I put the boss roo to bed with them. He and the other one then started fighting through the mesh of the run! I put the boss roo to bed and the other two came into the run and started running round and round the coop because they couldn't get in and the other one was inside. In the end I put the other two to bed in another coop. Then all hell let loose when all three started screeching and crowing for the next hour! I finally gave in and went and let the other two into the coop where boss roo and the girls were. They went inside, sat down and all went to sleep. It's crazy! What am I going to do? Can anyone give me some advice please - apart from the obvious, which I am not going to do! I am happy to keep them separated like I've done today but they confuse the hell out of me by seemingly being stressed because they're not together but when they are, they fight. Will they stop fighting? Is it a spring thing? If the one with the girls ends up on his own (as the girls are getting on a bit) will he ever be able to be with the other two boys again without fighting? What can I do to make sure they all have good lives? It's so hard :( Any advice will be greatly received. Many thanks.

Taking them out and in will actually cause more fighting because when they get put back together they need to reestablish who is who. How many hens do you have? Do your plans include keeping all 3 cockerals with the hens? Their Fighting is a bit of a spring thing as it sets the breeding season into full swing, but is more about who has what role. It sounds like number 2 rooster is challenging for spot 1. Eventually the boys will decide who the number 1 is going to be and the fighting will ease off. The temperament of the "winner" will be a major factor in if these boys can live together with the hens. If he doesn't let a looser retreat fights can end up with injured roos. Do you have places for fight losers to hide or get up out of the way? How much space do they have? If your dominant roo can't tolerate the others, you don't have enough hens, or you don't have enough space you may need to give 2 boys a permanent home away from the rest of the flock.

they confuse the hell out of me by seemingly being stressed because they're not together but when they are, they fight.
Don't worry about what they want, they want to fight. Think about what you want. The way I read this you want to keep all five chickens.

You can do as you did today, leave one with the two girls and keep the other two separated. You can try a bachelor pad where you keep all three boys together and the girls totally separated. Forget them all free ranging together. I don't know of either of these will work but I think they are your best options.

Some people would suggest get more girls. I don't. I would not expect that to solve your problem, I think you'd just add integration to your problems. But you can certainly try that if you wish.

What you have is not a normal natural situation so you have to take steps to manage it. Just letting it go and hoping it will work out isn't a likely solution. I think you are going to have to keep them separated.

Taking them out and in will actually cause more fighting because when they get put back together they need to reestablish who is who. How many hens do you have? Do your plans include keeping all 3 cockerals with the hens? Their Fighting is a bit of a spring thing as it sets the breeding season into full swing, but is more about who has what role. It sounds like number 2 rooster is challenging for spot 1. Eventually the boys will decide who the number 1 is going to be and the fighting will ease off. The temperament of the "winner" will be a major factor in if these boys can live together with the hens. If he doesn't let a looser retreat fights can end up with injured roos. Do you have places for fight losers to hide or get up out of the way? How much space do they have? If your dominant roo can't tolerate the others, you don't have enough hens, or you don't have enough space you may need to give 2 boys a permanent home away from the rest of the flock.
Thank you Yardmom for replying. I do appreciate it :) It's all a bit of a nightmare. I only have 2 hens left. My plans have been to keep the boys and girls separate but because of them fighting I decided to put one in with the girls and keep the other two away. It definitely is no 2 after no 1 spot! Last night they all went to bed and this morning as they just got to the bottom of the ramp, no2 started on no1 and all hell let loose. They went out of the run, all over the garden and it went on for over 30 mins. I read lots of info last night saying just let them battle it out and I did try. After 30 mins it had gone from no1 doing all the chasing and no2 running off but still fighting back, to them both being exhausted and no2 doing the chasing and no1 trying to fight back. It was just awful and I stopped it. I really felt like it would go to the death. It took me over an hour to clean up no1 and there were only a few scratches and lost feathers to no2, even though it looked like no1 was getting the better of him. No1 definitely came off worst. It's so upsetting seeing them like this. Even now they're still shouting for each other :( I initially put no1 in with the girls again but after cleaning him up I felt he needed some quiet time so put him with no3 so they could just chill out together, which they did. After cleaning up no2, I then put him in with the girls. He's the one that has always, always wanted to be with the girls and obsesses over them. I thought because he seemingly would have won the fight to put him in with the girls and see how it went. The girls were very upset and have hid all day!! Yesterday with No1 they were fine. I've just been out to feed them and no2 wouldn't let the girls eat and chased one of them, so I've put him back with no3 and put no1 back with the girls. I really don't know whether I am doing right or wrong. Is no1, who is chilled out and not bossy and a gentleman, better with the girls or No2 who is the complete opposite and obsessed??? I have made the decision to keep two boys together and let one in with the girls. It's going to be a bit hard to sort it all out but that's the only way forward I feel. I just wish it hadn't happened! I don't think there is any way back to the three of them staying together on their own now. Thanks for your advice. I am going to keep them separate. They have lots of room to free range and even doing that they have ended up like this. I've attached some pics. The first one is no1 with no3. Second one is no2 with the girls hiding. Thirds is no2, the challenger! Fourth is no1, who seems to have come off worse! Thanks so much again.

Attachments

• 20230319_133620.jpg
    20230319_133620.jpg
    934.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230319_133626.jpg
    20230319_133626.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230319_133601.jpg
    20230319_133601.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230319_133524.jpg
    20230319_133524.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 2
Don't worry about what they want, they want to fight. Think about what you want. The way I read this you want to keep all five chickens.

You can do as you did today, leave one with the two girls and keep the other two separated. You can try a bachelor pad where you keep all three boys together and the girls totally separated. Forget them all free ranging together. I don't know of either of these will work but I think they are your best options.

Some people would suggest get more girls. I don't. I would not expect that to solve your problem, I think you'd just add integration to your problems. But you can certainly try that if you wish.

What you have is not a normal natural situation so you have to take steps to manage it. Just letting it go and hoping it will work out isn't a likely solution. I think you are going to have to keep them separated.
Thanks so much for replying Ridgerunner. I really appreciate it. Yes, you're right, I do want to keep all five. I think, like you say, I am going to have to keep them separated. This morning they had a battle and no1 seems to have come off worse, with no2 having hardly any injuries. It also ended with no1 being chased by no2, which is not how it all started. Very sad. Everything I read last night said just let them battle it out but I stood it for 30 mins then had to stop it. I really felt like they were fighting to the death. It took over an hour to clean no1 up. I put no2 in with the girls after cleaning him up but he is obsessed with them and they have spent all day hiding from him. Yesterday with no1 they seemed quite happy with him as he is very relaxed and lets them do what they want. I don't know whether I'm right putting no1 or no2 in?? It's so difficult. I am not going to any more girls. I had thought about it but I don't think it's right. I think it's now gone past the point of no return with having all 3 boys together. It was awful this morning. To move the girls somewhere they wouldn't hear them is a bit impossible, even though we have quite a bit of land, due to predators. It seems to have worked again today with the 3 and 2 scenario so I think this is the way forward, it's just which boy I put in with the girls. I've just put no1 back in with them as no2 wouldn't let them eat and chased them. They've come out agin now with no1 in there. Nothing's ever easy!! Many thanks for your advice :) I've attached some pics.... first one is no1 and no3 together. Second is no2 with the girls hiding! Third is no1 after the fight and fourth is no2 after the fight. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20230319_133620.jpg
    20230319_133620.jpg
    934.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230319_133626.jpg
    20230319_133626.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230319_133524.jpg
    20230319_133524.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230319_133601.jpg
    20230319_133601.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 2
They don't call it cockfighting for nothing. Wishing they would all be nice, is a common trap most of us have fallen into. They won't, and this will get worse. I understand wanting to keep them all. But it really is unrealistic in a small amount of room or limited coops.

I think roosters need more room than hens. I like a peaceful flock. This is a recipe for a non peaceful flock.

Mrs K

They don't call it cockfighting for nothing. Wishing they would all be nice, is a common trap most of us have fallen into. They won't, and this will get worse. I understand wanting to keep them all. But it really is unrealistic in a small amount of room or limited coops.

I think roosters need more room than hens. I like a peaceful flock. This is a recipe for a non peaceful flock.

Mrs K
Thanks for your reply. They have masses amount of room and numerous coops. We have six acres and they are free range, only coming back into the run at night. They choose to all sleep in the same coop, which is of a size that can house 11 chickens. I just want to do what's right for them. It's my fault they're here because I chose to hatch them. It's therefore my responsibility to ensure they are safe and have a good life - somehow. We'll work it out and if they have to live separately, which seemingly they do, then they will. Many thanks Mrs K. I appreciate your comments!

It is not your fault. You have given them a good life. This is not about being right or wrong or good or bad. Too many people put themselves in impossible positions feeling guilty for this.

I am perfectly sure that you will solve this. But there is no need to feel guilty over a natural state of affairs. We all handle this differently. But it is not your responsibility to keep them forever, just because you hatched them. They are your chickens and you should do what you want to do, but there is nothing to feel guilty about.

Mrs K

Does 1 get along with 3? Unfortunately I think you’re going to have to get rid of at least one of them if they are fighting as hard as you say. But if 3 is not challenging 1, and the girls like 1, maybe take 2 away as he sounds like he is the aggressor, especially when he would try to keep the girls away from the food. Maybe the 4 can live in peace…

It is not your fault. You have given them a good life. This is not about being right or wrong or good or bad. Too many people put themselves in impossible positions feeling guilty for this.

I am perfectly sure that you will solve this. But there is no need to feel guilty over a natural state of affairs. We all handle this differently. But it is not your responsibility to keep them forever, just because you hatched them. They are your chickens and you should do what you want to do, but there is nothing to feel guilty about.

Mrs K
Thank you Mrs K. I appreciate your words and totally understand what you're saying. I will do my best and I guess that's all I can do. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom