Hens fighting over the same nesting box

Kedwar72

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
Hi! I have 3 hens and 6 nesting boxes. My OE and EE fight over the same box. So far, the fighting has not caused injury but a LOT of screeching and horrible sounds for an hour or two every single day… I worry that my neighbors are going to be frustrated if they aren’t already. Has anyone encountered this? Is there anything I can do to get them to find separate boxes? My third hen uses the same box every day (different box from the one the other two like) and these two don’t fight with her. Thank you! Kendra

I'd try getting some fake eggs and putting them in the other nest boxes. Some hens like to lay in the same spot as other hens, so when she sees the fake eggs in the nest it should motivate her to lay there, too. If that doesn't work and they're still squabbling over the favorite nest, I'd block it off for a few days and force them to choose a new nesting spot. Of course, that might not even work if they choose the same new box to lay in and they fight over that one. You'll just have to try it and see.

Is there any eggs in the nesting box? Maybe some belong to one hen and the other is trying to sit on it, Try placing any eggs in the nesting box in another nesting box, if they change their box that's probably the issue.
Okay thank you! The EE lays first, then the OE tries to go into the box and that’s when they essentially scream at each other. The EE eventually gives up to go eat and then the OE goes in to lay on top of the EE’s egg. Would you put their eggs in different boxes or fake eggs in different boxes? I collect daily but not until after I get home from work in the evening

I'd try getting some fake eggs and putting them in the other nest boxes. Some hens like to lay in the same spot as other hens, so when she sees the fake eggs in the nest it should motivate her to lay there, too. If that doesn't work and they're still squabbling over the favorite nest, I'd block it off for a few days and force them to choose a new nesting spot. Of course, that might not even work if they choose the same new box to lay in and they fight over that one. You'll just have to try it and see.
Okay I will try this, thank you!! The hen who lays second is a bit less confident and is strictly a follower of the other two hens, so maybe she does like to lay on top of another egg!

I have been having 8 lay in one box with 3 identical boxes next to it empty. A couple of times they have broke an egg. What a mess.

Sunday, I cleaned up the mess, added some fresh bedding in all the nests, and now I am getting eggs in all of them EXCEPT the one that was the favorite. They drive you nuts!

I have been having 8 lay in one box with 3 identical boxes next to it empty. A couple of times they have broke an egg. What a mess.

Sunday, I cleaned up the mess, added some fresh bedding in all the nests, and now I am getting eggs in all of them EXCEPT the one that was the favorite. They drive you nuts!
Oh wow I didn’t even think of switching out the bedding! I will try that too! Thanks for sharing! Had no idea they could be so finicky about nesting boxes!

I've always kept 1 or 2 fake eggs in each nest, helps to 'spread' the love. But there still can be some bickering, noisy yes but nothing dire.
Sometimes the daily egg count is spread pretty evenly between the nests, other times most are in one nest.

Okay I will try this, thank you!! The hen who lays second is a bit less confident and is strictly a follower of the other two hens, so maybe she does like to lay on top of another egg!
I think it's natural for them to lay in one box, I've even seen mine smash themselves in on top of flock mate to lay in favorite box.
I'd try with filling all boxes with fake eggs to see if they'll try other boxes but prolly not.
In my next chicken life I would make one big communal box but then someone puts their toenail through one!

Back
Top Bottom