Advice

klucas80

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2016
Sacramento
I have two hens (sisters) who are sharing two eggs that are viable and within days of hatching. We have to guess because I don't know exactly when they were laid. Can I let the sisters hatch their babies and leave the babies with them or should I remove the eggs and put them in an incubator? If I let the mom's hatch the eggs, do I remove the chicks and place them in a brooding container with a heat lamp, chick feed and water? I'm new to hatching eggs. Usually I just buy chicks from the feed store.

I’d candle the eggs, put the older eggs under one hen and the younger eggs under the other. If there are still viable eggs under the hens 3 days after the first one has hatched, you’ll need to put the remaining eggs in an incubator.
Unless they are severely bad mothers, allow them to raise the chicks. They need a ground level nest, chick feed and clean water.

We had one chick hatch this morning so my math was WAY off. Lol I'm leaving the baby with Mom and they seem to be doing very well. I am bringing some chick feed this evening. IMG_20180523_125622.jpg

Back
Top Bottom