anicholson9511

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
Hi! We have a 9 week old chicken that is walking on her hocks. She has been for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Her toes are curled inward on one foot. She seems to be using her wings for balance. We have been giving her vitamins because we thought it was a deficiency, but no improvement. There are no other symptoms (eyes look good, legs look good (besides toes curling) and are not cold to the touch, eating and drinking like normal). She loves to be held. We have felt her legs and spine and she does not seem to be in any pain. Any advice on what you think this could be?

2x @Eggcessive ... You could also try taping her toes/feet ... flat ... IF you have help, it will be easier, the sooner you do it the better. I've used VetWrap but it's too cumbersome for young chicks, tried the "paper tape" we use for those allergic to the regular bandaid adhesive. At 9wks you may need to a series, making like a sandal. Some use a thin cardboard (under feet) taped. Try making a sling so it's not on it's hock but able to touch the ground so it an "exercise" the muscles in the feet/toes.

It's curable & takes time, as mentioned a Riboflavin deficiency ... What are you feeding? Boil an egg, mash the yolk & mix with her feed, or feed it to her as a treat. Scrambled eggs would help too. I've also use Poultry Cell, in the past used PolyVisol (without the iron). What vitamin are you giving her?

Curious, was she incubated hatch or purchased?

2x @Eggcessive ... You could also try taping her toes/feet ... flat ... IF you have help, it will be easier, the sooner you do it the better. I've used VetWrap but it's too cumbersome for young chicks, tried the "paper tape" we use for those allergic to the regular bandaid adhesive. At 9wks you may need to a series, making like a sandal. Some use a thin cardboard (under feet) taped. Try making a sling so it's not on it's hock but able to touch the ground so it an "exercise" the muscles in the feet/toes.

It's curable & takes time, as mentioned a Riboflavin deficiency ... What are you feeding? Boil an egg, mash the yolk & mix with her feed, or feed it to her as a treat. Scrambled eggs would help too. I've also use Poultry Cell, in the past used PolyVisol (without the iron). What vitamin are you giving her?

Curious, was she incubated hatch or purchased?
This is helpful! Thank you. We have been using poultry cell. She was purchased and seemed completely fine until this started. She is still growing. I had just thought that the poultry cell would have helped her by now. I guess it is just going to take patience. When you do a sling what do you attach it to? Sorry these are our first chicks. 😊

What kind of vitamins have you used? Human B complex 1/2 tablet daily crushed and given in a spoonful of water or food can help, if it is riboflavin (b2) deficiency. Curled under toes and walking on hocks can be a sign of riboflavin deficiency.
Yes that is what we thought it was. We have been giving her poultry cell daily. Maybe the tablet would be better?

This is helpful! Thank you. We have been using poultry cell. She was purchased and seemed completely fine until this started. She is still growing. I had just thought that the poultry cell would have helped her by now. I guess it is just going to take patience. When you do a sling what do you attach it to? Sorry these are our first chicks. 😊
Variety of styles & material ... Check it out .... sling for chicken
With small chicks I put them in a cup & let them "struggle" to get out, good exercise & therapy. Agree with @Eggcessive on adding the extra B Complex

Back
Top Bottom