Aerial Assault

patriot_ameraucana

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2018
We've lost over 3 of our 19 total chickens we've had from these beasts known as "Hawks". The 2 kinds we have are Red Tailed hawks and... Chicken hawks. Our chickens have wooded areas to hide in, bushes, thin trees, etc., but the hawks still find a way. It used to be because we had our coop in an open zone of about 700 sq. feet (genius, right?) and that made sense. But now the hawks just seem to attack our chickens ALL THE TIME. One of our chickens (a fat Wyandotte) has been attacked over 4 times in 3 weeks. Nothing can carry her away since she does weigh quite a bit, but we lost a small 3-4lb chick last December from a hawk. We cannot legally shoot them (even though there are millions, and they attack our livestock) but we CAN use other techniques to keep them away, without using rifles. What ways do you guys recommend we use to keep these vicious birds from our precious flock? Any suggestions will help in one way or another. Thanks in advance!

I feel your pain. I had Northern Goshawk kill 3 adult birds in as many weeks. This forced me to change up my game plan, and my flock now resides in a covered run/coop set up almost all of the time. Sometimes, I can let them out for a few minutes before the hawks come calling, other times, I may get a whole day before hawks start circling. Evil creatures who have lost a sense of their rightful place in the food chain.

Just FYI, there is no breed of hawk called a chicken hawk.

chick·en hawk
noun
US
  1. 1.
    a hawk of a type that is reputed to prey on domestic fowl.

This is why my hens are "yuppie" or "helicopter" ranged. That means they can run their little legs off inside the enclosed run while I go out and do their foraging for them. Saves them. Saves my garden. Makes for interesting conversation. :thumbsup

We have the red tailed hawks too and I love to hear them whistle up in the sky but I DON'T want to see them swooping down on an animal here in my yard! I'm so sorry your birds have been attacked and killed. :rant

Ugh. Hawks are horrible. I especially dislike the red tails. Is there a possibility of a special license you could procure from your local DNR? Probably not.
Besides babysitting your birds, there isn't much you can do besides closely monitoring the skies, keeping windows open to hear sounds of attack, and things. One other thing I've discovered, is that my older birds who have witnessed a brutal hawk attack, are constantly on edge when any large bird, even a crow, flaps nearby. I've seen them run for cover when a hawk cries out, or flies overhead. The white birds, and ornamentals are targets too. Silkies and Polish are dumb. Completely oblivious to danger in my experience :)

Mine stay in a covered run while I am at work. I free range them at the end of the day and on weekends. I have had 1 coopers hawk try to take a pullet once. I just kept the birds in for a couple of weeks until the hawks move on. I think once they make a kill they keep coming back until you break them from the cycle. FYI, coopers hawks prefer hunting in trees/ bushes. That is their specialty. Get a rooster/dog/donkey/Lama if you want to keep the flock safe while free ranging.

I've tried the run trick a few times, and none of those times the hawk moved on. Maybe since I don't live in a rural area.

Back
Top Bottom