Afraid to come out

Justde

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
We moved our flock (15 weeks ) into the coop and left them for 4 days. Yesterday we opened it up and managed to bribe some of the bolder ones out. Do we just wait out the rest of them? Some will come down to the bottom and peck grass from there, but don't want to make that last step. The rest are still just hanging back in the coop.

We moved our flock (15 weeks ) into the coop and left them for 4 days. Yesterday we opened it up and managed to bribe some of the bolder ones out. Do we just wait out the rest of them? Some will come down to the bottom and peck grass from there, but don't want to make that last step. The rest are still just hanging back in the coop.
Give them time.

My broods are typically around 20 chicks. I feed and water both in the coop and outside. I've had all birds on the ground within 15 minutes of opening the pop door. I've had it take into the third day before all birds were on the ground. Typically it is a few hours, two or three, but each brood is different. When they grew up all of them acted like chickens.

Some people like to micromanage their chickens, trying to force them to conform with what they think a chicken should do. I am more laid back and allow the chickens to find their own way and reserve training to things I consider more important, like training them to go back into the coop to sleep at night. Just different philosophies.

Can you post a few pictures of your set up?

edit. Regarding your new thread posted today. I came to look for pictures of your coop to see what your problem is.

Back
Top Bottom