African geese

I have a Super African and she is the best. She is loud but she also will come and talk to me. She was sitting on eggs but I took them away because they weren't fertile. Yes, I feel bad about it and I tell her everyday not to sit on that nest. She is starting to get off it more each day. I have Sebbies and an American Buff for my Super African is the one that likes me to pick her up and chat with her. The others are more skiddish and keep there distance. They come running when they see me but they are stand offish.

Daffy my Super African did lay some fertile eggs. I hatched them in the incubator and have 6 baby Super African/Sebbies starting to lose the peachy fuzz. None have the black bill. Anxious to see how they turn out. My African and the other adults took to the babies and all are raising them together. What a treat it is to watch these geese and raise them.

Play with you geese and keep them socialized. This way they will be good with people. Socialize them with others as well. Good luck with them.

We have and African pair, the first year she laid a few eggs, we left her with 3 and 2 hatched. Last year she laid a total of 13 eggs, and not knowing what to do we left her with all of them. It turned into a small disaster, some of them rotted and exploded and after almost 6 weeks we decided to take them all away while she was out.

This year she has started laying 1 every 2 days, she is not sitting yet and we have been removing them. We would like her to sit and hatch a few but are unclear as to how to achieve this. At what point should we stop taking eggs away. How many should we leave with her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have one thing to tell you right off.

African geese are the ones people get to protect their property.

if you want them to be friendly, then you MUST spend every last minute you can spare in direct contact with them as babies and juveniles. If you have any way to be with them while they are hatching, I would highly suggest it. If you are there at hatching, they will imprint on you and you will become "mommy" and a thing not to be trifled with or challenged in their minds.

I have heard a couple of good stories about friendly africans, but tons of horror stories.

If you want to get friendly geese, try pilgrim, cottonpatch, or buff geese. They are MUCH easier to handle and very very friendly, if a little smaller in stature.

congrats on your ba
I just got to African geese. The only goose we ever had was 1 white one when I was a young teen, Gus the goose, he was not sweet. My neighbors have Toulouse. I have had them for just over 1 wk. I have been handling them several times a day. I hope they do not become mean. They have a pair of Indian runners with them. I also have 6 other young ducks.

I just got to African geese. The only goose we ever had was 1 white one when I was a young teen, Gus the goose, he was not sweet. My neighbors have Toulouse. I have had them for just over 1 wk. I have been handling them several times a day. I hope they do not become mean. They have a pair of Indian runners with them. I also have 6 other young ducks.

I had to have a couple geese when I moved out here in the fresh country air a few months ago. I wasn't sure what they were at first but they ended up being African. They were only a few days old when I purchased them from the feed store. Of course I babied them as if they were puppies. Holding them and talking to them. They are nearly full grown now and very friendly. I can feed them both by hand and Oscar the bigger one actually prefers it. He comes up to me and waits for his food while the others fight over theirs. He's special and I love him very much. Here's a pic from when I first brought them home. Yep that's Oscar right up front. He's a people pleaser.
love.gif

That is so funny! We have a pair and Dexter also prefers to be hand fed. I can put a large pile of grass clippings down and he won't touch them unless I pick them up.

I never discouraged it but I suppose you could. They are like human toddlers in that everything has to go in their mouthes. My big babies still nibble on me and if they nibble too hard and pinch I just say no no no, no pinchies and gently push their faces away and they seem to get it.
I don't really discourage it either, but if they pinch I push them away. They don't listen though. Buttholes, they are. Haha!

Ok, I'm getting 3 african goose goslings the end of this month. Can anyone tell me how their temperament is. Are they aggressive, friendly a combo of both. I know they will be at breeding time, but what about any other time? Thanks...
I have been out there every chance I get from the time they arrived in the mail a few days old. I work a full time job and have a house full of kids, so it isn't much. BUT, I always talked to them and loved on them. They still think I'm mamma and come running to "GOOSE GOOSE GOOSE!". If I'm in their yard, they are right next to me and follow me around everywhere. They are my favorite members of the flock. They are, however, extremely LOUD! I'm always telling the to quit screaming in my ears! HAHAHA.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Last edited:
I bought two Super African from the feed store a couple of weeks ago. They were super friendly from the beginning and not skittish at all. They demand all my time and every time I pass by they are like "pick me up, pick me up", just like babies. They jump out of their box and follow us around the house. We hold them and we take them out and I try to spend as much time as I can with them. When I take them outside they always follow me and they panick if I get away too fast. I don't think they will change. If anything, they would be in our arms more. We love them and I think they feel that

Ok, I'm getting 3 african goose goslings the end of this month. Can anyone tell me how their temperament is. Are they aggressive, friendly a combo of both. I know they will be at breeding time, but what about any other time? Thanks...
We have an African Gosling female named Lucy. She's a doll. Socializes well and loves being around us. She's actually upset when we leave the room though she has other feathered friends lol. She loves to cuddle with us and be held, follows us around the house. She's 3 weeks old. She's already showing signs of being protective of the ducklings which is one of the reasons we got her, to protect them and our older flock. She's way more social than our ducks, regardless of how much we socialized them. My pekins are the most social out of our ducks (we also have Swedish), wanting to be around us and such but Lucy is a whole new level. She just wants to be with us alllll the time and comes to us when she wants to be picked up. It could vary depending on each gosling/goose but this has been out experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20240415_174249476_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240415_174249476_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I have one thing to tell you right off.

African geese are the ones people get to protect their property.

if you want them to be friendly, then you MUST spend every last minute you can spare in direct contact with them as babies and juveniles. If you have any way to be with them while they are hatching, I would highly suggest it. If you are there at hatching, they will imprint on you and you will become "mommy" and a thing not to be trifled with or challenged in their minds.

I have heard a couple of good stories about friendly africans, but tons of horror stories.

If you want to get friendly geese, try pilgrim, cottonpatch, or buff geese. They are MUCH easier to handle and very very friendly, if a little smaller in stature.

congrats on your babies!
We got our African lady from Metzer, born on a Monday, picked her up at the post office with a couple ducklings on Thursday morning. She is an absolute doll, very social and loves being with us. From day one she was happy to be picked up and would call out for us. She got daily cuddles and we let her out daily to spend time with us. She is now 3 weeks and follows us around the house. She gets upset when we leave the room, even though she has her buddies with her. We've brought her to tractor supply and she's just happy as a clam. Metzer's customer reviews said Africans can be friendly and social, as well as a protector. I was gonna get a different breed but being they're one of the noisier ones and we want her to be a predator alarm, etc we thought this breed would be ideal. If she also serves as a guard dog to our property in general also that's an added bonus. She's already showing the signs of protecting us and the ducklings so I think she'll do well. She loves my kids and also kids that have spent less time with her. She wants their attention :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom