African goose concern

TX Duck Mom

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
First-time geese mom. I have a 5-month-old African female that I'm concerned about. She eats and drinks ok, but she seems to be kind of lethargic. Whereas her brood mate is alert and quite active, she gets where she's going then stands or lies with her bill tucked onto her back between her wings. I'm worried she is ill, but I can detect no obvious signs. Could it be a neck or throat infection? She doesn't rip into her lettuce as eagerly as she used to, but she still does eat. Also, when her head isn't tucked, she keeps her neck bent looking downward mostly. She will look up and stretch her neck out, but she returns to almost a resting position shortly. I'm already very attacked to these girls, and they are doing a great job watching my ducks. I'd hate to be missing something serious.

First-time geese mom. I have a 5-month-old African female that I'm concerned about. She eats and drinks ok, but she seems to be kind of lethargic. Whereas her brood mate is alert and quite active, she gets where she's going then stands or lies with her bill tucked onto her back between her wings. I'm worried she is ill, but I can detect no obvious signs. Could it be a neck or throat infection? She doesn't rip into her lettuce as eagerly as she used to, but she still does eat. Also, when her head isn't tucked, she keeps her neck bent looking downward mostly. She will look up and stretch her neck out, but she returns to almost a resting position shortly. I'm already very attacked to these girls, and they are doing a great job watching my ducks. I'd hate to be missing something serious.
what does her poop look like? (picture may be helpful)
what is her diet?

No worse. Still seems to not be as energetic as her brood mate. After reading many past threads on Africans, perhaps it’s just female v. male difference in behavior/temperament? They were both supposed to be female, but I have my doubts due to small variances I’m beginning to see. Would you care to weigh in? Any suggestions of what to watch for? I’ve had my khakis for over a year now, but I’m still learning about waterfowl!

What feed are they on?
Have you noticed any unusual droppings? Mucousy, bubbly, mostly liquid most of the time? Red, black, pink, neon green, yellow, or orange droppings?

The behavior you mentioned can be purely behavioral, but with my own flock it’s usually a precursor of more severe symptoms of illness. It sounds like she’s not feeling well.

Huh, I thought I'd replied to Jenbirdee about droppings and feed but don't see it here....

Dumor all-flock is available to them at their pen, but they free range all day at a pond. Not a lot of green right now (at least water weeds that I see them eating), but they do eat grass seed heads, etc. Also have green bermuda grass around their pen available. Poop doesn't seem unusual: greenish, grayish mostly--sometimes a little blacker, sometimes bit of white.
Tonight when I put them up, she was eating her lettuce from my hand very well when she suddenly chirped loudly and walked away, then refused any more that I offered her for a few minutes. Then she ate some off the ground so I offered it to her down low and she resumed eating. Could she have a neck or throat issue? I just don't really know what is odd and what is normal. This morning she swam and grazed a lot, then came ashore and assumed her resting pose with bill snuggled between her wings. She really just looked like she wanted a nap. I never see her littermate do this, so I'm thinking "Shirley" is misnamed--seems to be quite the protector although no mating activity shown yet. They're about 5 months old. I'd appreciate any tips on what to watch for or do for her, and at what point I should seek veterinary care.

Back
Top Bottom