Again. With the hawk.

Do you need wire or netting completely over the run to avoid a hawk attack in the run or will wires stretched over the run every foot or so deter hawks since they won't be able to fly into the run? I forsee hawks as my biggest problem.
That is the method my neighbor uses and when I was 'chicken sitting' for them, a hawk was able to get in and killed on of their BR's. The good news is you know what your biggest problem is so now you just have to cover the run. Some kind of fencing or bird netting would be better. Problem solved!

Hawks are by far the biggest predator threat we have, often they sit it the trees and stare at our chickens. Hawks are top line avian predators and much more intelligent than chickens and the only way to keep them out in my experience is to cover the run with chicken wire.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I appreciate it. I think I will go with hardware cloth on top. I decided on hardware cloth on the sides when I read that racoons can rip chicken wire. I guess I'll go all-secure and wrapped the entire compound with hardware cloth. I found a hardware cloth manufacturer about 45 miles from where I live. 1/2 x 1/2/19 gauge 48" x 100' is only $102, and I can pick it up at the factory and save shipping.

Last edited:
if you can get a standard size rooster, that would really help too. Since i got mine, the hawks never came back again.
I have been thinking about that, so I just called Myer Hatchery and had them add a Delaware Rooster to my previous order of 15 hens. Based on the hens I ordered (3 each of 5 different breeds), they recommended the Delaware Rooster so if I decide to hatch eggs, I won't get chickens with funky markings.

if you can get a standard size rooster, that would really help too. Since i got mine, the hawks never came back again.
So glad I came upon this thread. A rooster does help but he too will generally run and hide if he can... at least that's what mine does. I've had problems with Coopers hawks and Turkey vultures this year. My chicks are usually kept in a hoop house style pen that offers aerial cover but I do like to let them free range from time to time. Has anyone who uses open pastures had any luck with companion animals to help guard against aerial attack? I was thinking maybe a heard dog could be trained to help this way. Plausible?

So glad I came upon this thread. A rooster does help but he too will generally run and hide if he can... at least that's what mine does. I've had problems with Coopers hawks and Turkey vultures this year. My chicks are usually kept in a hoop house style pen that offers aerial cover but I do like to let them free range from time to time. Has anyone who uses open pastures had any luck with companion animals to help guard against aerial attack? I was thinking maybe a heard dog could be trained to help this way. Plausible?
Is it a standard sized rooster? i am surprised he's running off for a cooper's hawk. My only rooster that just screams out alerts and then dives for cover is the serama, but, he IS pint sized, so i think it's impressive he even keeps an eye out! I do have trees on the property where they free range though, which helps. I would definitely consider getting a dog, like a great pyrenees. They are supposed to be great with chickens. And they super gorgeous!

We had a Pyrenees years ago. -was excellent out on several acres. -very good temperament (and very protective of his territory/excellent guardian). Do consider if noise will be an issue. They have a booming bark....and bark a good bit while "on patrol".

We had a Pyrenees years ago. -was excellent out on several acres. -very good temperament (and very protective of his territory/excellent guardian). Do consider if noise will be an issue. They have a booming bark....and bark a good bit while "on patrol".

Yep, my Pyrenees is always looking to the sky and has literally chased hawks that were diving for my chickens. I watched him last month chase a great horned owl from tree to tree until it gave up and flew away. No worries with him around. Between chasing off coyotes from my goats to chasing predators from the sky for my chickens, I wouldn't know what to do without my Buddy.

I actually let my here hens free range in my backyard. It is fenced and they don't haven't escaped yet. I lock them up at night. But during he day they are out.

Mine free-range every day unless I know I am not going to be home. Then I don't let them out in the morning. They can't stand to be confined and make sure I know it,

Back
Top Bottom