Age to move outside????

kearstin17

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Grand junction
I have 13 - 5 week old chicks. They are all feathered and living in a broader in my garage. We unplug heat lamp durning the day and plug it in at night... When we open the broader they are flying out... So I really would love to get them in the coop. My question is when can I stop the heat lamp and move them? No way to use heat lamp in the coop so they will have to be done with it to move.... Been running in the 60's and 70's durning the day here and lows are mid 30's at night. Really need some advice... Thank you

I would turn the heat lamp off, give them a night or two to get used to the garage's night temp without it, then put them in the coop. Just be sure ther have some fluffy litter to snuggle into during the night for a little while, if they want to. Mine always started sleeping on the roost on their own, but not necessarily when this young.

Before you put them in the coop that should be colder than your garage you should stop using the heat lamp. Keep them in the garage a few more days without the supplemental heat.

Back
Top Bottom