Age to stop chick feed?

There is no official "stop feeding" point to quit feeding chick starter. Since it's practically identical to an all flock formula, you could continue feeding it indefinitely. However, some folks prefer to switch to layer feed as soon as the pullets begin to lay.

Grit can be offered on day one as long as it's the appropriate size for chicks, about the size of grains of course sand.

There is no official "stop feeding" point to quit feeding chick starter. Since it's practically identical to an all flock formula, you could continue feeding it indefinitely. However, some folks prefer to switch to layer feed as soon as the pullets begin to lay.

Grit can be offered on day one as long as it's the appropriate size for chicks, about the size of grains of course sand.
What is the grower feed? about like starter?
If my granite is too coarse, ( I'll look tonight) would builders sand work?

Builders sand would work. Grower feed, also known as all flock feed is almost identical to chick feed, the chick feed having slightly less protein. These are distinguishable from layer feed by the calcium content being much higher and protein being much lower in the layer ration.

Builders sand would work. Grower feed, also known as all flock feed is almost identical to chick feed, the chick feed having slightly less protein. These are distinguishable from layer feed by the calcium content being much higher and protein being much lower in the layer ration.
Doesn’t it have to be sharp sand? Builders sand is very fine and even texture - at least ours is here in UK.

Construction sand for use in cement has the proper consistency. (Don't buy sand ready-mixed with cement in it! )

There are many different grades of sand. I use a very fine grade called masonry sand that has larger stones around an eighth of an inch diameter, or 2-3mm which are perfect for adult chickens.

Chicks need grit much finer than that, and they get it from the finer particles in the construction sand.

Back
Top Bottom