Age when roo's take over the flock?

In our flock it was the Speckled Sussex hens who took on the new cockerel. SHE was the one who started the fight, and she was the one who came after him time and time and time again. The first fight was long and nasty, not because of the cockerel- he was willing to call it good. At the end it seemed to the roo had the slight edge- he did not hurt her- but she definitely got his comb and a couple other places. Once it looked like a boxing match where they were mostly leaning on each other, I separated them for the day and overnight.

The next day, she looked like she was ready for a repeat, but after one little jump-up spat, she walked away and became a completely different hen- never a problem after that. The other Speckled still scares the roosters!! Not exactly sure why- she wasn't the main fighter- but they give her lots of respect and space.

I'd say by 22-23 weeks the cockerel had taken over- now, even being young, it looks like he's always been there. I think that's the advantage to having older girls on hand instead of just the same age pullets who are in no way ready for all that- they want nothing more than to get away- but the older hens will smack them around until he's learned. That said, we did remove him for a couple weeks between 19-20weeks after he'd been with the whole flock for a week. Separated, he started doing much flirt-oriented behaviors, tidbitting, wing-shuffle dancing etc on the fence line-- instead of the grab and force method he'd done. The other key I think was half "his" girls started laying so they were more receptive.

In our flock it was the Speckled Sussex hens who took on the new cockerel.  SHE was the one who started the fight, and she was the one who came after him time and time and time again.  The first fight was long and nasty, not because of the cockerel- he was willing to call it good.  At the end it seemed to the roo had the slight edge- he did not hurt her- but she definitely got his comb and a couple other places.  Once it looked like a boxing match where they were mostly leaning on each other, I separated them for the day and overnight.

The next day, she looked like she was ready for a repeat, but after one little jump-up spat, she walked away and became a completely different hen- never a problem after that.  The other Speckled still scares the roosters!!  Not exactly sure why- she wasn't the main fighter- but they give her lots of respect and space. 

I'd say by 22-23 weeks the cockerel had taken over- now, even being young, it looks like he's always been there.  I think that's the advantage to having older girls on hand instead of just the same age pullets who are in no way ready for all that- they want nothing more than to get away- but the older hens will smack them around until he's learned.  That said, we did remove him for a couple weeks between 19-20weeks after he'd been with the whole flock for a week.  Separated, he started doing much flirt-oriented behaviors, tidbitting, wing-shuffle dancing etc on the fence line-- instead of the grab and force method he'd done.  The other key I think was half "his" girls started laying so they were more receptive.

Your top hen must be something fierce! Lol but I have 9 laying hens that are 1 and 1/2 years old that he could/should go after the problem is both males are scared of them. They were in a sectioned off part of the big girls run where they could be seen and heard but not touched since 3-4weeks old, then after a month I let them and their same age female companions in the run with the big girls but they would get chased and stuff so they never really hung out together (run in 200x200ft). Even at almost 5 monthes old they still dont mix really. I free range all my birds from morning until they put themselves to bed and in a day they only interact and hang together 3 times, once in the morning when they jump on our trailer for morning grooming after they eat a bit around 8am, then the hottest part of the day and after hours of foraging they meet at their favorite giant bush and lounge under it for awhile together, and the last time they mingle is when they all roost together in the coop they share. Other than that, they wont eat together, graze together, or anything together. If the younger ones try they get chased off. So thats why my boys only try to mate their same age females because they wont go with the main flock yet. They are more like a sub flock. The grey rooster is so desperate he did the wing dance for the other rooster?!

Back
Top Bottom