Aggressive Brahma HEN?

SamCO

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
Northern Colorado
All right experts- I have a light Brahma hen (pullet actually- 10 months) that is coming after me and my kids when we come into the run. She goes after feet and pecks hard. And she’ll chase you when you turn your back (like our cockerel did before he went to freezer camp) She was broody a few days ago, but we broke her with two days in broody jail. I thought maybe hormones were making her nasty, but it was happening for a while before getting broody, and is continuing. She’s always been nippy when in the nest box, but this aggression has been in the last month or so. Any way to address this? She’ll happily take treats from hands. My daughter is getting scared to go in with the chickens now, and so her bird needs an attitude change! Pic of some of the flock (including aggressive Brahma).

Attachments

• C20FA9C5-F039-4D76-AB9D-9BC50F16D141.jpeg
    C20FA9C5-F039-4D76-AB9D-9BC50F16D141.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
That's a tough one, especially with little kids involved.
It might be best to just get rid of her.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

That's a tough one, especially with little kids involved.
It might be best to just get rid of her.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.
Thank you! I’ve tried a few “head pecks” and ended up locking her and three other birds in jail (we called it mean girls club 😂) for three days due to them bullying another bird, and she’s much better now!

We had a very pushy pullet a couple of years ago, and I persisted in pecking her as @aart mentioned above. I kept her rather than selling her to a novice, because of her behavior.
I always wear jeans and shoes or boots out there, which saved me from actual wounds from he obnoxious pushy behavior. It did take time, and persistence on my part, and now as a two year old she is fine. Interactive, bold, but fine.
With a small child involved, moving her on might be a better choice.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom