Aggressive hen pining down others and biting

I would head her to the pot. I am not a real big believer in training a bird, especially a bird of a long term behavior. Even if you can get her to stop when you are there, it probably will start up again when you are not, and no one lives in the coop.

You could try pin less peepers. They often work in small flocks.

Thing is, she is ruining your enjoyment of the flock. These kind of birds cause a lot of tension in the flock, even if they are not the bird being attacked.

A hot water bath, with salt, pepper and onions will improve everyone.

Mrs K
Thank you! This one is practical and gave me a laugh!

I stay away from RIR's and RIR mixes because I've had 2 RIR's like this. Craigslist is my answer. Lot's of people want laying chickens and have bigger operations than mine. I can't have that in my flock. And I did try a few ideas first but nothing worked. I put alot of time into it the first time. Not so much the second time. I hope you are more successful than I was!
Thank you! Yes she is just a meany. I hate to lose one of my 6 though, makes a nice dozen eggs after 2 days.

Thank you! Yes she is just a meany. I hate to lose one of my 6 though, makes a nice dozen eggs after 2 days.
I know, I'm sorry. I sound so flip but it was for sure sad for me. I did love "Red," but around 2years old she just terrorized to many others. I gave her away with another one from my flock to a farmer. It made me sad when I handed the box over but to cheer myself up, I started looking at chick lists for my next batch :ya:oops:

I had a very special chicken teach me a very hard lesson once. Mean girls will always be mean.
So now I have a firm, "get along or get gone" rule. Cats, dogs, chickens. The rule applies equally and they all know their place.

Except the chickens think they're dogs, the dogs think the chickens are puppies, and the cat thinks they're all crazy.

Back
Top Bottom