Aggressive Rooster?

I had RIR that I just got rid of yesterday. I hated to rehome him but I hated to kill him more. But after a couple weeks, his behavior had only gotten worse, from bullying the others, pulling feathers out the young hens, and even starting to act aggresive towards me. I had done everything from smacking him, picking him up and carrying him, to even holding him up by his legs, each time I caught him being aggresive, especially towards me. The decision had been in the making for a few weeks now, but I was about ready to literally kill him the other night so I made my choice and to one of my coworker's he went. She has 25 hens and one rooster and said she would take him. She has more experience with chicken raising and also doesn't have a young child or young grandchildren so it made the decision easier. I have no interest in having an aggressive roo while I have a young child that helps me go feed and collect the few eggs we are finally getting. Like I said, as much I hated to get rid of him, I'd hate to kill him more. He wasn't a year old yet so has lots of learning and growing to do. But I decided that the docile polish rooster (Joe) and the little bantam rooster my mom picked up from a friend would be the best two to Keep. I've yet to see any aggresive moves towards me, as they stay to themselves when I go feed, and they are much smaller then Red so easier for me to handle. The rooster is replaceable. My child is not. My kid is more important then a rooter anyday.

We had one that we rehomed, a welsummer roo but he started attacking the lady that took him, so she brought him back. He was fine for a couple months then he spurred my wife. Couple days later he spurred my ankle and as my right foot and and flipflop were covered with blood I took care of him. I limped around for about 2 weeks. Hurt like hell.

We had one that we rehomed, a welsummer roo but he started attacking the lady that took him, so she brought him back. He was fine for a couple months then he spurred my wife. Couple days later he spurred my ankle and as my right foot and and flipflop were covered with blood I took care of him. I limped around for about 2 weeks. Hurt like hell.
Ps I have 2 roos from the same bunch that are very friendly and gentle

but, some roosters are sweet as can be! you should see my Tango, he would NEVER hurt anyone! he doesn't even eat treats unless a pick him up and give them too him... he lets the girls have them all! he also let the ladies eat first every morning and the eats. he also is older than my pullets and has not even tried to breed them (they are too young..well not now maybe) I have one 5 year old hen and she barley ever accepts his dances! but yet he is content!
I have a lot of nice roosters, but I don't have little kids to worry about. I wouldn't want to worry every time my kid goes out. When I was a kid I was chased and attacked by the roosters. I had always wished my parents had care more about me than a rooster. :confused:

I have a lot of nice roosters, but I don't have little kids to worry about. I wouldn't want to worry every time my kid goes out. When I was a kid I was chased and attacked by the roosters. I had always wished my parents had care more about me than a rooster. :confused:
But those very roosters taught you a lesson in life....... helped you grow a backbone and to stand up for yo'self! Gnome-sayin'? :p

But those very roosters taught you a lesson in life....... helped you grow a backbone and to stand up for yo'self! Gnome-sayin'? :p
I definitely grew up in a different time when kids were free roaming and no one much cared as long as we did our chores and went to school.

Shamo darling....try being 16 with a scar across your face. Being teased or bullied you end up tired of telling people a Rooster did it to you when you were 6. You make up a lie....like a car accident (something that couldn’t of been prevented) it’s cool to say that. And to this day you hold a deep smoldering resentment and you still cry...when your not being pissed. I say BE RESPONSIBLE as in all things in life protect your children.

for sure! my rooster is exposed to many young children, the first sign of aggression towards them and he would be going to a new home or in a child safe pen. I was just saying that not all roosters are aggressive or a threat.

Back
Top Bottom