Agressive, sneak attack rooster -- help

floodc

In the Brooder
May 14, 2015
NW Illinois
I got a golden laced polish rooster this spring from a farmer. He's beautiful and was supposed to be friendly and docile, but turned out to be always hungry, lice infested and ornery. I've taken care of the lice, the worms, and trimmed his spurs, but can't get him to stop being aggressive. (I really thought that once he was comfortable (deloused/dewormed), he'd be friendlier, but he's actually gotten worse.) Sometimes, he leaves us alone. Other times, he will charge all the way across the lawn to attack out once your back is turned. We just never know what he's going to do - come running to see if we have treats, not care that we're out, or launch a sneak attack while you're not looking. We've tried grabbing him and holding him. (He's quite lovable when he's sitting on my lap.) We've tried a squirt bottle when he's charging or acting aggressive. (He doesn't like that, but won't back away.) Does anyone have any tips on what worked for them? I really, really don't want rooster soup, but we've gotten to a point that it's just too much.

Welcome! He needs to be in someone's crockpot, if not yours. That little brain of his isn't going to get any smarter, only sneakier. Some roosters become human aggressive after a year or two of age; I've had a couple of them myself. He absolutely shouldn't reproduce! Polish in the USA do have this kind of reputation, sorry. Find another boy! I don't acquire birds form anyone, except day old vaccinated chicks from a safe source. Too many nasty diseases out there that my birds don't need. Raise some chicks, and keep a couple of nice cockrels, and get a rooster that way. Mary

Thank you for your reply, Mary. I just don't think I have it in me to kill it. Perhaps, in theory, but I'm too new to being a chicken owner to actually do it.... I'd put an ad on Craigslist for someone who wanted to eat him, but I'm afraid it end up being a cockfighter and my sneaky, bipolar roo would be tortured.... Do you have any suggestions?

He's much more likely to end in that crockpot, and help feed someone's family. Your veterinarian can euthanize him, if that works better for you. After you or someone in you family gets really injured it will be easier, and that's not a better choice. aart says that this is where Romance meets Reality in poultry keeping, and he's right. Mary

I would have liked to have a good ending to finish my post - perhaps a happy, but tragic tale of the rooster, LeRoux, giving his life to save his flock from a hawk, or perhaps even a coyote... But you were all right. He just kept getting meaner and sneakier. I found someone to do the deed. (I'm still a squeamish "farmer," and a bit sad for that little fella.). Thanks for all of your advice!

Back
Top Bottom