AI freak out

Jurassic_Bawk

Chirping
Feb 15, 2022
Delaware
I am probably just worrying too much but I came back after 5 days away (they had a chicken-sitter) to see my 3.5yr old sex link in rough shape. They have been molting but all of the sudden she seems to have a ton of bald patches/missing feathers. Her comb is also much floppier and the lobe at the back looks like it is turning blue/purple. I have been battling mucky butt issues with both of the birds in that coop but they seemed to be doing much better after a bath and some flock fixer. She seemed excited to see me, but was walking sort of hunched over, like not standing all the way up. When I picked her up she struggled around the normal amount. I have never seen any pests or egg masses on them but I am a newer chicken owner so I don't have a ton of experience. She has an injured or deformed beak and has always had trouble eating as much as the others.

There is a lot of AI in my area (Delaware) so as soon as I googled purple comb and saw AI I freaked out. Does this seem like normal molt behavior? They didn't molt this hard in past years but they are getting older.

Any help, advice, or reassurance is appreciated!

Attachments

• comb.jpg
    comb.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 13
There are innocent and benign explanations for all of the seemingly out-of-the-ordinary signs you returned home to. On top of that, since you haven't been around for five whole days, all that seems extra unusual to you. Try to look at it in that light.

The purple comb tip is not unusual as chicken combs can reflect mood and current/temporary stress level. The feather loss is normal this time of year in the top half of the planet as long as a chicken has reached the likely age for molt. Molt can also affect current vitality, given that it can act as a curb on appetite and the pin feathers emerging are undoubtedly uncomfortable, thus the hunched posture.

What can help the "down mood" in the flock is a little party celebrating your return - a can of mackerel or a pile of hamburger. The extra protein boosts health during molt when protein demands are high, and it offers a caloric jolt that makes chickens feel alive and content. It all makes a chicken keeper happy.

There are innocent and benign explanations for all of the seemingly out-of-the-ordinary signs you returned home to. On top of that, since you haven't been around for five whole days, all that seems extra unusual to you. Try to look at it in that light.

The purple comb tip is not unusual as chicken combs can reflect mood and current/temporary stress level. The feather loss is normal this time of year in the top half of the planet as long as a chicken has reached the likely age for molt. Molt can also affect current vitality, given that it can act as a curb on appetite and the pin feathers emerging are undoubtedly uncomfortable, thus the hunched posture.

What can help the "down mood" in the flock is a little party celebrating your return - a can of mackerel or a pile of hamburger. The extra protein boosts health during molt when protein demands are high, and it offers a caloric jolt that makes chickens feel alive and content. It all makes a chicken keeper happy.
Thanks for being so kind! I will treat the hens and take a deep breath.

Back
Top Bottom