I incubate dry and don’t mist because I live in the south and the air is humid. So, I wouldn’t. I think too high of humidity is worse than too low. I have had 100% hatches the last three times I have hatched ducklings this way.
Another update (and advice). Unfortunately today 3 of the wood ducks have died. All 3 went from running around to sitting & sleeping then closing eyes and dying within a couple of hours. There is another 1 that to me looks slower than all the rest. The other 3 are running riot, chirping & the teals are also fine and are now a week old. It seems to be the smaller of the wood ducks that have passed. The thermometer is reading the right temp they should be, they’ve had crumb, mash, worms & water all with brewers yeast & vit b the same as any other hatch we have had. I’ve seen them all eating a drinking so I don’t understand what could be causing it. I’m dreading what I will find in the morning. Do you think this could be failure to thrive? Or because the hatch was delayed due to the air sacs?

Another update (and advice). Unfortunately today 3 of the wood ducks have died. All 3 went from running around to sitting & sleeping then closing eyes and dying within a couple of hours. There is another 1 that to me looks slower than all the rest. The other 3 are running riot, chirping & the teals are also fine and are now a week old. It seems to be the smaller of the wood ducks that have passed. The thermometer is reading the right temp they should be, they’ve had crumb, mash, worms & water all with brewers yeast & vit b the same as any other hatch we have had. I’ve seen them all eating a drinking so I don’t understand what could be causing it. I’m dreading what I will find in the morning. Do you think this could be failure to thrive? Or because the hatch was delayed due to the air sacs?
I am thinking failure to thrive for whatever reason or a slight possibly of disease. I have had similar issues with quail. I doubt it had anything to do with the hatching and everything to do with the kind of duck. I am currently having my own issues with Hookbill duck eggs that are overdue and four have died. I wish I knew what to tell you that would help, but I am at a loss. Make sure they are drinking and not too hot, is all I can think of. Prayers for them!

I am thinking failure to thrive for whatever reason or a slight possibly of disease. I have had similar issues with quail. I doubt it had anything to do with the hatching and everything to do with the kind of duck. I am currently having my own issues with Hookbill duck eggs that are overdue and four have died. I wish I knew what to tell you that would help, but I am at a loss. Make sure they are drinking and not too hot, is all I can think of. Prayers for them!
They are currently in our living room so I can keep an eye on them. It’s 24 degrees in here and they have they have the brinsea heat plate. Plenty of room to move away from the heat. Everyone is still alive this morning but the one I thought was weak still isn’t as lively as the others. I’m offering it different feed & giving it sugar water with vit b. We don’t have nutridench so it’s all I can do now. Thank you!

Unfortunately we just lost another one. We have 3 of the wood ducks left now out of 7. Feeling very disheartened and dreading the kids coming home from school :(
I’m very sorry
Have you checked them for pasty butt
Higher humidity can cause it and it does kill if not cleared
May not be the issue but one that’s easy to check to rule out

Hi, I have 10 eggs in an incubator currently on day 23. The ringed teal eggs are doing great and the air cell is the right size. The wood ducks are way too small for day 23. More day 10. Confused as they in the same incubator. Any help or ideas on what I could do this late on?
Your air cells actually looked totally fine for this stage. They drop at lockdown. Though I'd definitely recommend calibrating thermometers and hygrometers for future use.
Larger air sack is a teal & the other is the wood duck. All of the wood duck air sacs are a similar size @picklestheduck
Yup they look totally fine. Ducks need higher humidity. The air cells don't have to be huge. They're such fast hatchers they really don't need big air cells like other species.
Where did you get the eggs? I've had similar issues with eggs from first year hens.

Back
Top Bottom