Help With Hatching Eggs

https://www.waterfowl.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/egg-chart.jpeg
This chart might help to know what you see while candling on every day..

If it was for me, and i was very worried, I would candle again. However, really really careful. And others certainly might disagree. this is my personal opinion.

If you do, be really really careful! can't say it enough! Remember the exact position the egg is in, so the duckling doesn't get confused when you put the egg back in a different way (just because he/she might have started on the inside.)

First I would take the egg out, keep it in the same position, and listen... if your duckling is working on the inside, you might hear a ritmic ticking sound when putting the egg against your ear.

If you hear this, carefully put the egg back. If not, carefully candle..

Always remember, candeling won't help the duckling to hatch sooner and there is a risk of dropping/shaking etc.

Make your own informed decision.

@sourland would you be so kind to assist too? Much appreciated 💛 Miss Lydia hass already been tagged

Last edited:

If it was for me, and i was very worried, I would candle again. However, really really careful. And others certainly might disagree. this is my personal opinion.

If you do, be really really careful! can't say it enough! Remember the exact position the egg is in, so the duckling doesn't get confused when you put the egg back in a different way (just because he/she might have started on the inside.)

First I would take the egg out, keep it in the same position, and listen... if your duckling is working on the inside, you might hear a ritmic ticking sound when putting the egg against your ear.

Always remember, candeling won't help the duckling to hatch sooner and there is a risk of dropping/shaking etc.

@sourland would you be so kind to assist too? Much appreciated 💛 Miss Lydia hass already been tagged
Ok so I decided to candle being super careful, baby is moving, baby responded to my voice, and baby bill/head is inside the air sac. I hope I did not damage the little sweetheart by checking but I wanted to move the unit to a more stable base. I guess I will see soon enough my daughter who is all about her ducks said egg will probably hatch tonight or tomorrow?

Ok so I decided to candle being super careful, baby is moving, baby responded to my voice, and baby bill/head is inside the air sac. I hope I did not damage the little sweetheart by checking but I wanted to move the unit to a more stable base. I guess I will see soon enough my daughter who is all about her ducks said egg will probably hatch tonight or tomorrow?
Ducks are really slow hatchers. They often internally pip one day (what your has done), externally pip the next, and then do nothing for 24-48 hours before hatching. During that time they are absorbing the yolk and the blood vessels are shrinking. As long as they have externally pipped they have air. So, do not help for a least 24 hours preferably 48.
I just had to help two eggs hatch after 48 hours after external pipping. I had set eggs from a new layer. I did it on purpose because she is a rare breed but I knew the eggs were small. I believe mine struggled because of the size of the eggs. They tried to zip but didn’t go far. Even then, I helped each over about a six hour period. If you get to that point in a couple of days, come back on here for help.

Stil no duckling but the egg was moving just now when I checked on it. The duckling seemed to respond to the light being shined into incubator and to my voice. I’m hoping not long now but it seems to be taking forever :jumpy

Ducks are really slow hatchers. They often internally pip one day (what your has done), externally pip the next, and then do nothing for 24-48 hours before hatching. During that time they are absorbing the yolk and the blood vessels are shrinking. As long as they have externally pipped they have air. So, do not help for a least 24 hours preferably 48.
I just had to help two eggs hatch after 48 hours after external pipping. I had set eggs from a new layer. I did it on purpose because she is a rare breed but I knew the eggs were small. I believe mine struggled because of the size of the eggs. They tried to zip but didn’t go far. Even then, I helped each over about a six hour period. If you get to that point in a couple of days, come back on here for help.
Thank you duckling is moving today inside egg responds to light shining thru incubator (not opening) and my voice. Still no external pip? I am assuming this means breaking a hole thru shell that I can visibly see on outside?

Thank you duckling is moving today inside egg responds to light shining thru incubator (not opening) and my voice. Still no external pip? I am assuming this means breaking a hole thru shell that I can visibly see on outside?
external pip happens within 24hr of internal pip usually. and yes, you first see a little starlike crack in the egg

@

@Stipenvlerk I tried to take photos this is the air sac…I do not see any movement? But can see really dark shadow past the air sac? I am on day 29. Egg was placed on 9/28

Attachments

• 4936E0FB-7BC2-4B56-A886-0C098EFCF601.jpeg
    4936E0FB-7BC2-4B56-A886-0C098EFCF601.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 890CE12C-3226-4394-A801-6EA9623EB493.jpeg
    890CE12C-3226-4394-A801-6EA9623EB493.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 94756638-F9F0-483B-8E2C-CF215FA9105E.jpeg
    94756638-F9F0-483B-8E2C-CF215FA9105E.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 22289C4B-E31B-4F6B-97C3-10D01467E428.jpeg
    22289C4B-E31B-4F6B-97C3-10D01467E428.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 4
As long as it response to light and voice, leave it be. Ducks are so slow when hatching!

Just to be clear, you did see movement earlier today, am I right?
Yes I did and the egg rocked a couple of times I watched it. Of course then my daughter turned the dryer on and the incubator is sitting on the dryer and I said you cannot turn the dryer on we are waiting for the baby to hatch the vibration could kill it? Right? Since then…..nothing

Back
Top Bottom