dead eggs outside nest

Why not candle? I mean if they aren't fertile no need to let her keep sitting.
she got off the nest this morning to get some water and i checked with a flash light and all 5 eggs seem to be fertile and hopefully close to hatching soon (forgot to mention we found out she had two more) most of them the air pocket in it was at a slant.

Last edited:
Keep us posted looking forward to seeing some ducklings and mama. Make sure to keep and ducklings safe from the others if mama keeps sitting while hatching is going on she isn't going to be going after a stray duckling which means others can do it harm.

Keep us posted looking forward to seeing some ducklings and mama. Make sure to keep and ducklings safe from the others if mama keeps sitting while hatching is going on she isn't going to be going after a stray duckling which means others can do it harm.
34819A52-6400-4159-B121-E11F6D82F12F.jpeg

there’s 7 babies, happy we had some successfully hatch finally 🙏
61438F23-F6D3-4B36-9CC8-A7204CB6FB3A.jpeg

the one with the most black is my fave. they’ve been hatched a bit now just forgot to update. super excited to see how they turn out tho because at least some of them,if not all of them the dad is (presumably) a cayuga

Last edited:
I'm a little late to this party. but I didn't see anyone answer with this. a duck can sense if a egg isn't viable or if the baby isn't alive. there's a good chance she rolled them out of her nest herself. maybe even the same with the dead duckling you found.. if the duckling was weaker then the others they will abandon them...

I’m so happy for you, they are adorable. Keep the pictures coming so we can see how they feather in.
some sad news today i was feeding the mom and her babies by the lake and i counted only 6 babies , when there was 7 before. i found the baby dead in the coop :( i’m unsure what happened.

I'm so sorry, could you tell if there were injuries? Like a predator? are the other ducks allowed around them?
they all reside in the same coop but the mom and the babies have been sleeping in her nest which is inside a big cage. i found the baby outside the nest, the only thing i think i could see injury wise was the eye looks like it may have been poked out but it was hard to tell. i usually let them all out at the same time in the mornings and mom baby sometimes stay behind in the coop. we have a small rooster and two hens, my idea is the rooster did it when they were loose in the coop. and all babies were there upon locking them up last night and letting them out this morning. so it happened during the day.

I'm so sorry, could you tell if there were injuries? Like a predator? are the other ducks allowed around them?
generally the other ducks have no access to them during nights and when they’re outside the coop the mom and babies go off on their own, so that’s why i think if it was a coop mate that it was a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom