Incubating ducks day 32…just need some moral support😄

Pics

SelfSufficientMe

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
Central Florida
Today is day 32 incubating Welsh Harlequins. Was thinking day 33 for a bit but I did the math again and definitely day 32. Set the eggs 9/6.

Started with 10 due to my tiny incubator. All 10 made it to day 14. On day 21, I tossed 5. They were underdeveloped and had died. Locked down slightly early (24 1/4) because I went out of town. I read that it shouldn’t do any harm.

Day 28 no hatch. Day 29, 30, 31 no hatch. No internal pipping until day 31 and I’m unsure what time of day. I noticed the evening of day 31. The duck died sometime over night.

Day 32, 2 internal pips out of the 4 remaining eggs.In an attempt to avoid an overnight situation like day 31 and the deceased duck, I decided to poke safety holes 🤞🏼 The remaining 2 have not internally pipped, but there is shadowing and movement.

Rewind a bit. On day 30, I realized that my temperature wasn’t right. My incubator read 99.5 (37.5) when it was in fact 95. Humidity has been good. Air cells are as they should be. Currently 65-70 range.

When I’ve opened the incubator the last few days, I’ve had the shower on and I’ve steamed up the bathroom to around 80 on humidity to candle the eggs.

Is there anything more that I can do at this point? Is there a right or wrong way that the pips should be positioned? At the top or the bottom of the large end of the egg when positioned on its side?

Thanks for any support or helpful tips. I’ve read so much on this website and I appreciate this resource😄

If you have made safety holes, there isn’t anything you can do but wait. Safety holes are usually on the aircell side. But, those who pip on the small end can hatch ok.
Thank you. They’re all still alive this morning. Still only two internally pipped. The other two are worrying me. One looks pretty close but cannot see shadowing like I could yesterday. One looks to be turned around the wrong way. Bruising on small end of egg and I can see it breathing on the large end.

Thank you. They’re all still alive this morning. Still only two internally pipped. The other two are worrying me. One looks pretty close but cannot see shadowing like I could yesterday. One looks to be turned around the wrong way. Bruising on small end of egg and I can see it breathing on the large end.
following to find out how it goes and wishing you and ducklings the best success today

One passed sometime this morning while I was at work. I took apart the egg carefully. A fairly large yolk sack attached. For 33 days, seems odd. Three left. I thought there were two internally pipped so I started to help one only to find out that it’s not pipped. It’s still moving but seems weak. Still has some veining. I’m unsure on the yolk. The other internally pipped is chirping. Appears shrink wrapped but has its beak out. I see some small veins. I need to return to work but I’m afraid of the worst😔

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 48
How are things going now ?
The very low temp is why you have late hatching
Any bruise outside the air cell is safety hole ASAP in the middle of the bruise
Then wait at least 48 hours to see how things are going
We have to treat wrong ends differently and add internal pip 24 hours to the safety hole
Baby will take 48-72 hours to hatch
Safety holes need to be tiny
Mine are only the size of the pin on my tac
The larger the hole the more at risk the baby is !!!
They also take much longer to hatch and you need to constantly moisten membrane
For air cell ends
24 hours after internal pip if nothing more then I add a safety hole and wait 24 mote hours
I do not increase my tiny pin hole
All they need is a small hole for air to get in
They don’t need to see us as we don’t need to see them
At the 24 mark I will candle above the air cell to see how the veins look
I don’t need ti open the egg to do this
If I still see veins I check back in 4-6 hours
I will continue this until I see the egg is clear
Then a make the zip and allow baby ti try and push out
If it’s stuck then I will pull a bit more shell until baby can free it’s head / neck then let it push out
Most times unless it’s smaller eggs and baby can’t turn ti get out all they need is the safety hole and they will make their own external pip and zip
Again safety hole is pin size only
Here is an egg with a bruise
With a small safety hole

Attachments

• 807582A3-C33A-4044-8F64-4E6ACCA94F57.png
    807582A3-C33A-4044-8F64-4E6ACCA94F57.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
How are things going now ?
The very low temp is why you have late hatching
Any bruise outside the air cell is safety hole ASAP in the middle of the bruise
Then wait at least 48 hours to see how things are going
We have to treat wrong ends differently and add internal pip 24 hours to the safety hole
Baby will take 48-72 hours to hatch
Safety holes need to be tiny
Mine are only the size of the pin on my tac
The larger the hole the more at risk the baby is !!!
They also take much longer to hatch and you need to constantly moisten membrane
For air cell ends
24 hours after internal pip if nothing more then I add a safety hole and wait 24 mote hours
I do not increase my tiny pin hole
All they need is a small hole for air to get in
They don’t need to see us as we don’t need to see them
At the 24 mark I will candle above the air cell to see how the veins look
I don’t need ti open the egg to do this
If I still see veins I check back in 4-6 hours
I will continue this until I see the egg is clear
Then a make the zip and allow baby ti try and push out
If it’s stuck then I will pull a bit more shell until baby can free it’s head / neck then let it push out
Most times unless it’s smaller eggs and baby can’t turn ti get out all they need is the safety hole and they will make their own external pip and zip
Again safety hole is pin size only
Here is an egg with a bruise
With a small safety hole
Thank you so much for your advice. I did start with a pin hole. I had the one that was malpositioned die and panicked and decided to act quicker on the remaining eggs to avoid more babies dying. I really thought I’d be able to remove them with minimal issues and then I saw veins. I didn’t realize how far behind they were. I had another die the day before bc I did not make a safety hole in time. Definitely a hard lesson learned.

They are both still alive. One pipped and one is under the membrane. The third still has not internally pipped. Some movement though.

I think the one on the right/bottom might be hardening. Can I put anything on it to moisten it. I’m afraid I’ll break the membrane. It’s definitely hardening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice. I did start with a pin hole. I had the one that was malpositioned die and panicked and decided to act quicker on the remaining eggs to avoid more babies dying. I really thought I’d be able to remove them with minimal issues and then I saw veins. I didn’t realize how far behind they were. I had another die the day before bc I did not make a safety hole in time. Definitely a hard lesson learned.

They are both still alive. One pipped and one is under the membrane. The third still has not internally pipped. Some movement though.

I think the one on the right/bottom might be hardening. Can I put anything on it to moisten it. I’m afraid I’ll break the membrane. It’s definitely hardening.
Yes put Vaseline on any membrane showing every 3-4 hours
You ca. use coconut oil but it doesn’t last as long 1-2 hours
It’s very important to keep that membrane moist
I would get humidity a bit higher with them that open
75 % range
You are doing just fine
I lost a few my first hatch
One I helped to much to soon and baby 2 I saw a bruise at the wrong end and was to scared to help and it passed
then I got help on here and finished helping 3 of the 5 babies left
2 did it themselves
My first hatched are going to be 2 in December and are doing great still
I have hatched many since and learned less is truly more
I use ti open them as veins would go down
Now I don’t go past the safety hole until I see zero veins
But these two are open so let’s focus on getting them to hatch
Veins means they are not ready so just keep things moist and allow them all the time they need to absorb

Yes put Vaseline on any membrane showing every 3-4 hours
You ca. use coconut oil but it doesn’t last as long 1-2 hours
It’s very important to keep that membrane moist
I would get humidity a bit higher with them that open
75 % range
You are doing just fine
I lost a few my first hatch
One I helped to much to soon and baby 2 I saw a bruise at the wrong end and was to scared to help and it passed
then I got help on here and finished helping 3 of the 5 babies left
2 did it themselves
My first hatched are going to be 2 in December and are doing great still
I have hatched many since and learned less is truly more
I use ti open them as veins would go down
Now I don’t go past the safety hole until I see zero veins
But these two are open so let’s focus on getting them to hatch
Veins means they are not ready so just keep things moist and allow them all the time they need to absorb

Here is the link to the second duckling. It was not originally internally pipped. I assisted due to the membrane becoming dried out. I’ve since moistened what’s left. The other duckling is more exposed and you can actually see a lot of its feathers and a wing, but it is still in the egg. I feel like it may be trapped. I thought I had a video but I started recording when I thought I had stopped so I got a video of my kitchen counter. Please let me know what you think about this little one. The lower portion is completely hardened and very much so on the end. It almost looks crystallized. I don’t know that the duck will be able to get out of the egg.

I think right now I just would like to know if you think it’s appropriate to help it finish hatching or should I give it more time for absorption. I had to leave for work, so they are at home right now and I will not be able to do anything until after I get off. I will be going by on my lunch hour to check on things though. The other egg that had not internally pipped yet was internally pipped this morning and I put a tiny tiny safely hole and I’m going to let that would do what it needs to do all on its own. Thank you so much for your help😊

Back
Top Bottom