Air soft guns for predator control and ill effects on flocks that consume them

Gigglebox

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who have used air soft guns to shoot predators? We are considering it for dogs as I am vehemently opposed to killing a dog. Any experience out there?

Also, I'm afraid if we shoot and have air soft pellets in the yard the ducks/geese might eat them. If that happened, would they just pass on through? We were thinking biodegradable pellets....and thoughts on those in the digestive tract of a bird?

Or would they even eat them?

What are you hoping to accomplish by shooting a dog with an air soft gun? Scare a dog off? Annoy it? I don't know much about them. Do they have enough impact to leave a pretty good bruise on a person? If not, I don't know how effective it would be on a dog since they have a hair coat to protect them. It might be more effective to look into beefing up the security around your yard, coop and run. Electric fence can be a good deterrent for dogs. One thing to consider - if a dog can get to your flock, so can a coyote, fox, raccoon, or other predator.

Hi! We have had to deal with something similar. Once we had a raven stealing are eggs so we thought about what to do. Then we thought why don't we shoot the raven with a airsoft gun every time he tried to steal are eggs. Just make sure to use biodegradable pellets. And make sure your far enough away so it just makes him mad but not hurt him.
Good luck

Bobbi, we will have 3 layers of fencing, one layer burried, hot wires running the top and bottom of the fence (and the middle potentially), plus barbed wire at the top (and chicken wire covering the whole top). The pellets were just something additionally we hoped to use to deter a oredator, if they were persistently attempting to enter, despite our efforts. Hopefulky they give up after being shocked and having difficulty getting in, but I just don't know...this is the first time owning birds for us. To answer your question, i shot my husband once and he says they're painful :D for the record, he told me to lol

Farmgirl, glad to hear you have had good results with them. Thanks for sharing!

I appreciate the suggestion but we want something that isn't double sided (we don't want to shock the birds).

I personally don't use electric poultry netting, but others on here do, and swear by it (as opposed to swearing at it....
wink.png
) If it wasn't safe for the birds, it wouldn't be such a popular item. I think their feathers insulate them from getting shocked. Our dog got zapped one time as he was going under the electric fence we had for the horses (He forgot to tuck his tail as he went under) He didn't go near that fence for the longest time, and when he did, he was VERY careful!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom