ALABAMA!!

My fiance is finally catching the chicken fever. He LOVES bantams now, especially the Dutch and Wyandottes, figures... the one group of chickens you can't order pullets from
roll.png
I explained "straight run" to him, and he was like "Oh no, can't do that."

I'm really loving the looks of Wyandottes, they seem like awesome chickens (ofcourse, I would be so tempted to let them do their mothering thing.. get them some eggs to hatch, end up with cockerels.. and then have to teach the kids where nuggets come from..). But, knowing myself, our first acquisition is just gonna be TSC chicks. If we don't kill them, we can get something fancier
lau.gif

That's a good plan...............until the chicken math sets in..........................

Chicken math begins already...I am planning on getting 6 baby chicks in February well yesterday i get a call at work a lady needs to rehome a chicken and a rooster(I also found a good home for the rooster) I can't take the rooster but gladly except the chicken so I put her in the already set up broody box and make a few modifications for pullet/hens differences until my dh can get temp coop up so now I've went from 6 planned chickens to 7 I could get 5 chicks but I want to get two of each breed just in case one turns out to be a roo I will still have one of each breed of course with my luck I will end up with several roosters and will still have to get more also I'm hating the fact that she's alone so should I find another hen her age or just wait on the babies(I'm not sure exactly when in February the local store and or tsc will have them I'm buying them the day they come in though)

Wisher,
I was looking over my chickens today, and decided I need to get rid of one of the buff orpington hens. She's just not very orpy. If you want her you can have her, since yours decided to commit suicide. :)
Oh, someone asked earlier who else has Marans, I have some....
Matt,,,,,did you see anyone exhibiting Marans at Moulton last year? Or have any for sale there?

Lisa

Lisa -

I am always willing to take in a stray hen! I've been trying to get you out to my place to look at my "your" chickens, anyway! Any chance I can talk you into delivering her (and looking at chickens and a cup of coffee or lunch while you're here?)

After we spoke on the phone the other day, I was doing some research on Marans and that leg color I was talking to you about. I think, after reading the information I found, that the legs on that "weird" bird I culled may have been the closer to SOP of the two!
lau.gif
I also happened onto a pic of a Birchen Marans Rooster that looked just like another rooster I had, from that same hatch. When I set the eggs from you, I also set a dozen of my own mixed eggs. Once they started hatching, I didn't keep up with who hatched from what egg. I culled him at seven months old, thinking he was a BO/SLW out of my eggs. He was HUGE! Half again larger than any of the other roosters. (BTW, both those roosters are living in a bachelor flock in Gordo, with necks intact.)
See? I told you I needed you to come out and tell me what I had!
gig.gif
Not that any of it matters, I am just having fun hatching and watching chicken TV and collecting eggs. It does, however, illustrate how poorly lacking I am in expertise of the finer points of breed identification.
I really need that trip to Moulton, for purely educational reasons, of course, not a social outing ... no, not for fun at all!
gig.gif

Not a problem Stumpy...before this last year you would have been correct but the nice ladies that put on the Festival are making a solid effort to meet the desires that have been voiced by the public to have more real chickens there. I expect the show portion of the Fest to continue to grow but I realize that everyone is not into that but it does give everyone an opportunity to see some beautiful show quality chickens. It also brings in people with quality birds for sale so that is good. At most shows that I attend in the Southeast there is a BYC table set up and people from the site visit there so it would be good for you guys to do that. They usually have a banner with the BYC logo, I don't know where they get it from but they always have one.
For you guys in the southern part of Alabama there is a real nice Poultry Show in Pensacola, Florida on March 16th. There will also be a pretty good size chicken swap held at this show in March so there should be lots of chickens for sale there.

I looked into this. BYC offers the banner as a free rental ($50 deposit and return shipping.) I will reserve the banner and see if I can get permission (by e-mail so it can be printed and taken with us) to put it up somewhere in the sale/swap area (or in the show area if they wanted us to.) I would not think they would require us to pay for a spot there since we are not going to be selling anything, just providing a meeting place for BYCers. They should be agreeable since it would be bringing people in to spend money! It may be that we can secure a spot big enough to put our chairs and even a pop-up tent as a place to rest and congregate. If they insist on a fee, depending on how much it is, I might put up a donation jar to "re-coop" that expense.

I have ordered my BYC t-shirt.... so how many of you are going?

Back
Top Bottom