ALABAMA!!

The Ameraucana sold by ideal under tinted egg layers are actually Easter eggers and not pure recognized ameraucana. Nothing wrong with Easter eggers as long as you understand what you are getting. Many people order what the hatcheries sell as " ameraucana or Americana" thinking that they have the pure deal. To my knowledge no large commercial hatchery sells pure ameraucana.

You might want to look at Henderson's chicken breed chart. it has several breeds listed, and a little about each of them. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
For Ameraucana's from Ideal , they are here https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=AMERP&Product=1189

I ordered a couple of silkies and some Ameraucana's, and some Rocks from them. We are very happy with them all.:) I LOVE the different egg colors.
Okay, help me out here. We want hens that lay eggs regularly and are friendly I am on the IDeal site trying to decide.

We were thinking of getting a Silkie but on Ideal they are under Bantam. Are Silkie's at type of Bantama?

Also, under each type of chicken there are types. Example, if I want to get a Leghorn, which one...there are so many different kinds? Someone mentioned Mediterrian however that is not one of the options.

Plymouth Rock - again, many options, which is the one to get?

I really wanted Ameraucana or an Easter Egger however I do not see them on the Ideal site. Are they under a category that I am not familiar with?

Thanks to all!

Jen

Last edited:
......but I'm taking a cage.
lol.png

LOL! I know you!
tongue2.gif

I know the feeling. The more I read, the more I want.

Off the top of my head I want: a Lakenvelder (white with black head) or a light sussex, a Vorwerk (gold Lakenvelder, orange with black head), a Marans, a Welsummer, a double laced Barnevelder (that black and copper one
love.gif
), several wyandottes (blue laced and some other colors), a Leghorn and an Araucana or two (or generic easter egger).

It would be a gorgeous colorful flock.. AND the eggs would be gorgeous.

I've been wanting Sussex, Welsummer and Black Copper Marans, too, plus silver-laced Wyandotte, among others.

I have been working on a colorful egg basket from the beginning and have recently started shipping eggs to friends for my own educational purposes (I've learned ALOT!) If you are interested, take a look at my other thread, "The Great Egg Shipping Experiment," I am trying to document and share my lessons learned!

There is an article entitled "Mail-Order Hatching Eggs" in the current Backyard Poultry.

I will check that out if I get the chance. I am the type, though, that can read and be told how to do something 20 times, but until I get my hands on it and do it myself, I will not remember. I am planning to ship some out on Monday and didn't have a clue which type was which or how to figure shipping weight, or cost while I was at home. I took all the stuff to the PO and had them weigh it and tell me the cost and how it was delivered, etc. and it all makes sense to me now. I learn by doing......

I would love to hatch eggs, but my inexperience and luck combined I'd have a dozen roosters and kill off all the hens (Seriously, I have a track record of all boys... every time I have a litter of anything, it's boys, and the one sole girl always dies within 24 hours o_o rabbits.. dogs...not even kidding)

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. Sorry about the new thread. For those who have been to Moulton: Will there be chickens for sell?

Back
Top Bottom