ALABAMA!!

Well, poo then. Folks on here in the threads about salmonella were claiming that NPIP certification meant salmonella free. I got my hopes all up.

That's the one thing I worry about. Salmonella and the kids.

I actually had a dream/nightmare last night that all other my chicks were roos
That's a very sad dream.
hit.gif

I just want to say something about Salmonella ---- According to a study done several years ago by the Univ. of Maine (I think) and the Pa. Dept. of Agriculture--there had never been a case of Salmonella in free range chickens. This may have changed now but this was only a few years ago that I read this. Made me think it was only in chickens under stress in commercial conditions.

Read the signs in front of all your local commercial operations and it makes you wonder too. "NO ADMITTANCE--THIS IS A DISEASE FREE FACILITY" Are they afraid their chickens might catch "human pox" or measles or something? NO its because they don't want anyone seeing the conditions the chickens are raised under. If the consumer saw the conditions they wouldn't eat the chickens or their eggs. Pay attention if you ever get close to a truck hauling them on the highway-take a look and make your own observations.

I may have more to say on these subjects if any one answers this post.

I just want to say something about Salmonella ---- According to a study done several years ago by the Univ. of Maine (I think) and the Pa. Dept. of Agriculture--there had never been a case of Salmonella in free range chickens. This may have changed now but this was only a few years ago that I read this. Made me think it was only in chickens under stress in commercial conditions.

Read the signs in front of all your local commercial operations and it makes you wonder too. "NO ADMITTANCE--THIS IS A DISEASE FREE FACILITY" Are they afraid their chickens might catch "human pox" or measles or something? NO its because they don't want anyone seeing the conditions the chickens are raised under. If the consumer saw the conditions they wouldn't eat the chickens or their eggs. Pay attention if you ever get close to a truck hauling them on the highway-take a look and make your own observations.

I agree Oldgoat. Our neck of the woods has lots of commercial chicken houses. My parents had chicken houses back in the late 60's. it is a totally different set-up than being a backyard chicken rancher!

Oh, Oldgoat, this is my eternal soap-box! It is mind boggling to me how people can continue to turn a blind eye to the way chickens are raised in commercial houses. It's inhumane. And quite frankly, I can't imagine consuming something raised in such deplorable conditions!

I used to worry about this too. When you get your chicks, just be careful where you buy them from. Many of the hatcheries test the birds. Also, if their area and water is kept clean, I think there is little risk. Most backyard chicken folks here on this forum will take care of them much better than some of the larger meat, farms. I think some of the larger places that raise meat birds are not as careful. I know there are a few around here I can't stand to drive buy. There is one here I can smell before I dirve anywhere close. My chickens never smell like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Just have the kids wash their hands after they handle the birds.

Well, poo then. Folks on here in the threads about salmonella were claiming that NPIP certification meant salmonella free. I got my hopes all up.

That's the one thing I worry about. Salmonella and the kids.

Originally Posted by Alabama ee

"I know there are a few around here I can't stand to drive buy. There is one here I can smell before I dirve anywhere close. My chickens never smell like that."

I know! It drives me crazy when I tell people that I keep chickens and they comment on how my yard must stink now. Even my own family acts surprised at how my birds never smell badly.

Last edited:

I agree to a point but it is also about biosecurity. I know that if I were raising a large number of birds for resale (eggs, chicks, meat, whatever) I wouldn't want anyone just walking around. You never know what they may have on their shoes etc that is not a problem in your flock.

I agree to a point but it is also about biosecurity. I know that if I were raising a large number of birds for resale (eggs, chicks, meat, whatever) I wouldn't want anyone just walking around. You never know what they may have on their shoes etc that is not a problem in your flock.
I suppose that's true. But you know they must have some worry for what the general public would think about how their facilities are run.

Back
Top Bottom