ALABAMA!!

Hi Alabama peeps! I've been having fun reading all the old posts. I'm up around the 200th post. I live in CA, but hubby is looking at transfering to AL. I want to live where I can have LOTS of chickens and some goats. We visited Huntsville last year, and drove by some properties, but dh ended up turning down that job offer. He is now looking at some other positions. We would be looking to live in Toney, Hartselle, Hazel Green, New Hope, Harvest, or someplace else within 30 minutes or so from Huntsville. If anybody has anything to say about living in these places, I'd be happy to hear it. Also if you have anything good or bad to say about the middle schools and high schools, I'm all ears. Feel free to pm me. Looking at all your pics, it will be hard to pick breeds to keep. Right now I have 2 houdans, 2 EE, 1 Olive egger, one black cochin bantam frizzle, and one bantam silver spangled hamburg. I'll have to sell them all if we move. Hubby says he hopes to be moved by summer. We will see. I'm so looking forward to being a country girl! I want 5 acres or more. Right now my chickens are all in a little backyard.
Hi to everyone!

Anyone got anything they would trade for four gold laced wyndotts?

I would, but my kids are just 3-4 weeks old and hatchery birds. Wyndottes are
love.gif

Hi Alabama peeps! I've been having fun reading all the old posts. I'm up around the 200th post. I live in CA, but hubby is looking at transfering to AL. I want to live where I can have LOTS of chickens and some goats. We visited Huntsville last year, and drove by some properties, but dh ended up turning down that job offer. He is now looking at some other positions. We would be looking to live in Toney, Hartselle, Hazel Green, New Hope, Harvest, or someplace else within 30 minutes or so from Huntsville. If anybody has anything to say about living in these places, I'd be happy to hear it. Also if you have anything good or bad to say about the middle schools and high schools, I'm all ears. Feel free to pm me. Looking at all your pics, it will be hard to pick breeds to keep. Right now I have 2 houdans, 2 EE, 1 Olive egger, one black cochin bantam frizzle, and one bantam silver spangled hamburg. I'll have to sell them all if we move. Hubby says he hopes to be moved by summer. We will see. I'm so looking forward to being a country girl! I want 5 acres or more. Right now my chickens are all in a little backyard.
Hi to everyone!

Welcome! I've loved living in Alabama.

Hanners might have some. They have chicks in the store, but they also have grown birds sometimes. They are a Mom and Pop Feed store in Scant city close to Guntersville. Last time I was in they had chicks and some Pekin ducks. They also had a LOT of Quail. Their phone is 256-753-0061.

Anyone have any birds for sale around Scottsboro or the TN line? Im looking for ducks and a few pullets

Hi to everyone!

Welcome to Alabama!!!! Any of the places you mentioned are Great places to live. WARNING!! Before you get here!!! Being from Ca. you may not be used to this--people here wave when you meet them on the street(not that they know you) , people tend to make conversation with you at unusual places ie: grocery store, gas station,post office, etc.----Having worked for long periods at times in other parts of the country, I find that this is a little unique to our area. Again Welcome!!!!

Hi Alabama peeps!  I've been having fun reading all the old posts.  I'm up around the 200th post.  I live in CA, but hubby is looking at transfering to AL.  I want to live where I can have LOTS  of chickens and some goats.  We visited Huntsville last year, and drove by some properties, but dh ended up turning down that job offer.  He is now looking at some other positions.  We would be looking to live in Toney, Hartselle, Hazel Green, New Hope, Harvest, or someplace else within 30 minutes or so from Huntsville.  If anybody has anything to say about living in these places, I'd be happy to hear it.  Also if you have anything good or bad to say about the middle schools and high schools, I'm all ears.  Feel free to pm me.  Looking at all your pics, it will be hard to pick breeds to keep.  Right now I have 2 houdans, 2 EE, 1 Olive egger, one black cochin bantam frizzle, and one bantam silver spangled hamburg.  I'll have to sell them all if we move.  Hubby says he hopes to be moved by summer.  We will see.  I'm so looking forward to being a country girl!  I want 5 acres or more.  Right now my chickens are all in a little backyard.
Hi to everyone!
I love being in the country in Alabama. We moved to Cullman county about a year and a half ago and bought 6 acres in the middle if no where. Welcome and hope y'all find something, but from experience talk to LOTS of people about the schools before you buy and move into an area.

Welcome to Alabama!!!!  Any of the places you mentioned are Great places to live. WARNING!! Before you get here!!! Being from Ca. you may not be used to this--people here wave when you meet them on the street(not that they know you) , people tend to make conversation with you at unusual places ie: grocery store, gas station,post office, etc.----Having worked for long periods at times in other parts of the country, I find that this is a little unique to our area.  Again Welcome!!!!
I was not used to all that when I moved to TN from Colorado 15 years ago, and it's even more so in Alabama.

Hi to everyone!
You also need to do some homework if you plan to be in an incorporated area. Suprisingly even rural towns can have some rigid restrictions on livestock. Best bet is to get outside of town limits.

thanks all! I do hope to find something outside city limits. I want roosters, and I know lots of places dont allow them. I already figured out that I have to learn to say roll tide roll in addition to y'all. LOL. Wow, I sure do hope bama is as friendly as everyone claims! I'm still not sure how to find out about the schools.
barnie.gif

I'm not out there where I can talk to people. I was hoping some people here might have some advice.
Now, as soon as I get there...I"ll be looking to buy some chickens. I'd rather not buy from hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom