ALABAMA!!

I hope they hatch. baby ducks are so cute. We got some Welsh Harlequins in. They are about a week old. They are a LOT of fun.
So just wanted to share some pictures with ya'll! We built a coolerbator using the specs from the thread on here and right now we have 11 duck eggs that we are trying to hatch out. Fingers crossed!

And yes, just in case anyone is wondering, that is an original Super Nintendo by the bookcase. We are keeping the old school flame burning at my house.

I'm jealous! I have someone hatching Welsh Harlequins out on the 8th and I think I'm going to get some. Now the debate is whether to get two or three...

I'm not 100% sure, but I have every single symptom that is mentioned for it. And I can even recall being less than careful handling things. Not going to a doc unless 1. I am getting dehydrated 2. I figure out how to get there without uh.. complications, yeah..
lol.png

And I might just as well have gotten it elsewhere. I did spent all day at Children's yesterday for unrelated things, heck, hospitals are the number one place to get sick.

The 4 year old has mild symptoms, his brother and dad have nothing.

I try to laugh it off, but I have surely learned my lessons. I was being cocky and overconfident. Next time they're residing inside my storage building, not my house
wink.png

Who in Alabama near Birmingham has chicks for sale? I'm having such a hard time finding good chicks. We have 11 black silkies, and are looking to add a few more to our homestead this spring. Please pm me with any information! My husband, 8 month old, and I live on a humble 3 acre organic garden in Parrish Alabama with our great Pyrenees', chickens and indoor cats. It's wonderful to meet all of you! I have learned so much from this site!

Me and my big mouth and that whole "I'm worried about Salmonella". I've been so diligent about the kids not touching them, not touching anything that touched the chicks.. and now -I- have Salmonella poisoning.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm about to die. You do not want to know...

I'm worried to report it, I'm afraid someone might take my chickies. I probably should contact TSC and find out who the hatchery is? Ofcourse, they'll likely deny any involvement.. It's my own stupid fault, I'm sure I forgot to wash my hands or something (Play with chicks, wash hands. Get waterer, clean waterer, fill waterer, wash hands. Carry waterer to chickies, put in, close brooder, wash hands. Pick some bedding flakes off my pants... durrrrr)

I feel about as rough as when I had my baby.. which I did without an epidural. Let this be a lesson kids. Salmonella sucks.
It may be salmonella , but there is also a terrible stomach virus going around that could explain your symptoms. It seems to last 48 to 36 hours but true recovery takes so much longer. My four-year-old had it and it was two weeks before she would eat normally again. My husband had it and while his symptoms were more severe he got back to normal more quickly. Thankfully, I have not had, and I hope I do not get it! I have washed my hands so many times that they are cracking, but that's better than the virus! Without a confirmed stool Culture, you just can't be sure.

Last edited:
Who in Alabama near Birmingham has chicks for sale? I'm having such a hard time finding good chicks. We have 11 black silkies, and are looking to add a few more to our homestead this spring. Please pm me with any information! My husband, 8 month old, and I live on a humble 3 acre organic garden in Parrish Alabama with our great Pyrenees', chickens and indoor cats. It's wonderful to meet all of you! I have learned so much from this site!
Don't have silkies but I do have bantum cochins and LF Blue and black ameraucana. Check me out at self creek farm on facebook. I am in N. Jefferson Co. near Trafford.

I hatch and breed silkies. I am hatching out some now as we speak but I am not sure how many are going to be for sale as I am working on adding to my breeding pens. I will PM you with more info.

I'm not 100% sure, but I have every single symptom that is mentioned for it. And I can even recall being less than careful handling things. Not going to a doc unless 1. I am getting dehydrated 2. I figure out how to get there without uh.. complications, yeah..
lol.png

And I might just as well have gotten it elsewhere. I did spent all day at Children's yesterday for unrelated things, heck, hospitals are the number one place to get sick.

The 4 year old has mild symptoms, his brother and dad have nothing.

I try to laugh it off, but I have surely learned my lessons. I was being cocky and overconfident. Next time they're residing inside my storage building, not my house
Tomtom, I agree with Cukoo! I had the worst case of the stomach flu I have ever had a week and a half ago. I could not stop throwing up, I had no appetite, and I couldn't stay out off the bathroom (if you catch my drift). I finally went to the Doc in the Box and they said that it was a very virulent strain of stomach flu (I also had bronchitis, but that's beside the point) Anyway, he said it was pretty contagious and that the medicine that he gave me for diarrhea would probably not work. It didn't. The nausea medicine he gave me did though! All in all, I lost over 10 pounds in 4 days. I wouldn't chalk it up to salmonella just yet. My nurse friend told me this thing is spreading like wildfire.

It seems y'all are right. I was just really worried about the implications for my birdies.

Step-son's mom just called, asking if he's sick, since her fiance had it real bad. I have NO idea how I got it so bad from him. I don't share foods or anything with him. He didn't make it to the bathroom a few times last night and that was it for him. He's been fine since. I've been sick as a dog
roll.png

So, hooray. Atleast it's not the chickies. I was worried I'd have to get them treated. They didn't seem sick either.

Coop is almost done though, just need to add the door and it will be enclosed. Need to add the bells and whistles still, but it'll be enclosed to the point they can spend their days outside weather permitting.

Thanks y'all for putting up with my paranoia
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom