ALABAMA!!

Hi! So we went out of town for the weekend and had to put the sick hen back in the big coop so she had plenty of food and water while we were gone. I was happy to see all of our girls excited to see us home (I always fear seeing dead hens when we get back). But our sick hen Cinnamon is still acting funny. Her wings are droopy and she seems to have a leg she wont use now. She pants constantly. We took her out and let her roam and she limps but still eats and drinks, her other foot tends to have the toes curled. I so don't know what to do!! I am going to do the worming this week since it needs to be done, but am not sure it will help her any.

My goodness it is truly.detrimental to.ones BYC social life to take a week or so off. Hello my friends. Hope all is well! We have been working non stop.in the garden for weeks now! It is looking rather nice and large! Added our first turkey poults a few days ago. Local feed store bourbon reds. Hope everyone is enjoying this transition into warm weather! :) also I am.in need of some good quality black silkie hens not too terribly far from walker county. :) thanks!

My goodness it is truly.detrimental to.ones BYC social life to take a week or so off. Hello my friends. Hope all is well! We have been working non stop.in the garden for weeks now! It is looking rather nice and large! Added our first turkey poults a few days ago. Local feed store bourbon reds. Hope everyone is enjoying this transition into warm weather!
smile.png
also I am.in need of some good quality black silkie hens not too terribly far from walker county.
smile.png
thanks!
Hi Silkiemomma! So happy your back on BYC!
How nice you found some turkey poults! You will love them! You should take pics of your garden and put them on.
We are loving the nice weather! My chickens are laying around panting like crazy even in the shade in the afternoon....
They have plenty of shade but I feel bad for them.

Well we finally got our hen run done last weekend and they love it!
It's 15x50 and I still have to weave the wire together for the top. We have a rubberized heavy tarp over the top by the coop so the sun and rain will stay off them and I had to use a sheet to hang over the side there at the tarp to keep the sun from cooking them! And they stay up there in the shade during the heat of the day. But there is alot of shade in the run as well. It is under several trees.

Well we finally got our hen run done last weekend and they love it! It's 15x50 and I still have to weave the wire together for the top. We have a rubberized heavy tarp over the top by the coop so the sun and rain will stay off them and I had to use a sheet to hang over the side there at the tarp to keep the sun from cooking them! And they stay up there in the shade during the heat of the day. But there is alot of shade in the run as well. It is under several trees.
Wow so nice ! I wish I had enough yard room for that size run. I think your run has more sq ft than my house.

Hi!  So we went out of town for the weekend and had to put the sick hen back in the big coop so she had plenty of food and water while we were gone. I was happy to see all of our girls excited to see us home (I always fear seeing dead hens when we get back).  But our sick hen Cinnamon is still acting funny.  Her wings are droopy and she seems to have a leg she wont use now.  She pants constantly.  We took her out and let her roam and she limps but still eats and drinks, her other foot tends to have the toes curled.  I so don't know what to do!!  I am going to do the worming this week since it needs to be done, but am not sure it will help her any.

That doesn't sound good. Poor you and chicken. I cull mine if they are disabled.

Hi! So we went out of town for the weekend and had to put the sick hen back in the big coop so she had plenty of food and water while we were gone. I was happy to see all of our girls excited to see us home (I always fear seeing dead hens when we get back). But our sick hen Cinnamon is still acting funny. Her wings are droopy and she seems to have a leg she wont use now. She pants constantly. We took her out and let her roam and she limps but still eats and drinks, her other foot tends to have the toes curled. I so don't know what to do!! I am going to do the worming this week since it needs to be done, but am not sure it will help her any.
Hi Jo,

I hate to be the bearer of gloom and doom, but I would recommend you do some research on Marek's Disease, Infectious Coryza and a couple of other respiratory illnesses. The first thing I thought was Marek's. I really hope that is not what you are dealing with but if it is there are hard decisions to make. It may not be, so do the research and educate yourself so you will know for sure. Start here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

then continue to read on BYC and elsewhere before you decide what course to take, if there is any way I can help you with your research, I will be happy to try.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I have to get you interested in Sulmtaler chickens. Most of the info on them is either in Dutch or German. I have 6 chicks that are a month old.

Sulmtaler? No familar with the breed. You must post picture of you chicks.

Back
Top Bottom