ALABAMA!!

I chase my roo around every couple of days, for good measure. He likes to give me that look, as if he's ready to try and stand up to me. So I chase him around some, holding my arms wide and stomping on the ground. I don't care how stupid I look, he fears me
lau.gif

I would love to see that!
gig.gif

He's been a terror to the girls though, chasing them around, grabbing them... luckily I have 9 girls, so they all get plenty of breaks from being chased..

Forgot about the two copperheads we killed some weeks ago. It happened right as my mother-in-law was in the MICU, so it really slipped my mind. Neighbor came and had a fit, saying he was terrified of snakes, if we could kill it for him. So my fiance goes to kill it and I a realize there's a second one behind him!

I was going to let the chickens have the snakes, minus heads.. but fiance said no. I figured they could practice slinging them around and bashing them on the ground. *shrug* Haven't seen any snakes in my yard, luckily.

It's been a crazy month.. MIL passed away, had to magically make money appear to make arrangements (I only managed to magically make credit cards appear
hmm.png
). My mom flew over to kinda help distract the kiddo's and pay her respects. Had custody/divorce court only days after that. Dr.s visits etc.etc.etc. *brainsplode* I'm ready for things to settle down a bit again.

So sorry about your MIL!
hugs.gif

We've decided to just have another kid.. or well.. try. Get that out of the way
lol.png
Really, there's no point waiting til we have money. Because.. ya know.. that's never going to happen.

You have to follow your heart!
hugs.gif

I think the fact my mom was sleeping in a room with two kids the past 3 weeks, proved to us we can stash a lot more kids in a room than we thought *snicker*

I'm still waiting for my first eggies. Girls are 15 and 16 weeks now.... It could be days, it could be weeks. One of the white rocks looks like she'd be ready. The rest... not so much.

My camera broke a few days ago, so I wont be able to share pics.. except maybe some from my phone. Maybe... I'll try ^^ Y'all have got to see my Roo, he's a majestic beast.
Hopefully you will get some eggs soon!
lol.png

I am also hoping some of mine might start some time within the next month!

I'm still wondering about Baby... She's so little o_o She looks a lot like my Australorps, but her wattles are bigger than theirs and she has yellow feet. She does have some of the beetle green sheen, but the other two are much glossier, she's more of a matte sheen.

Lucky me, I got a bantam Jersey giant?
lau.gif

I'm still wondering about Baby... She's so little o_o She looks a lot like my Australorps, but her wattles are bigger than theirs and she has yellow feet. She does have some of the beetle green sheen, but the other two are much glossier, she's more of a matte sheen.

Lucky me, I got a bantam Jersey giant?
lau.gif
Tomtom, I don't think so! My JG's were stunted also. But I did an online search on them and found another gentleman that had some and had the same problem when he first bought his. But he upped the amount of protein in their diet and they sprang up in size. I got some higher % protein and in the last two weeks mine have shot up at least 2 inches! Just add protein!

Last edited:
I chase my roo around every couple of days, for good measure. He likes to give me that look, as if he's ready to try and stand up to me. So I chase him around some, holding my arms wide and stomping on the ground. I don't care how stupid I look, he fears me :lau

He's been a terror to the girls though, chasing them around, grabbing them... luckily I have 9 girls, so they all get plenty of breaks from being chased..

Forgot about the two copperheads we killed some weeks ago. It happened right as my mother-in-law was in the MICU, so it really slipped my mind. Neighbor came and had a fit, saying he was terrified of snakes, if we could kill it for him. So my fiance goes to kill it and I a realize there's a second one behind him!

I was going to let the chickens have the snakes, minus heads.. but fiance said no. I figured they could practice slinging them around and bashing them on the ground. *shrug* Haven't seen any snakes in my yard, luckily.

It's been a crazy month.. MIL passed away, had to magically make money appear to make arrangements (I only managed to magically make credit cards appear :/ ). My mom flew over to kinda help distract the kiddo's and pay her respects. Had custody/divorce court only days after that. Dr.s visits etc.etc.etc. *brainsplode* I'm ready for things to settle down a bit again.

We've decided to just have another kid.. or well..  try. Get that out of the way :lol: Really, there's no point waiting til we have money. Because.. ya know.. that's never going to happen.

I think the fact my mom was sleeping in a room with two kids the past 3 weeks, proved to us we can stash a lot more kids in a room than we thought *snicker*

I'm still waiting for my first eggies. Girls are 15 and 16 weeks now.... It could be days, it could be weeks. One of the white rocks looks like she'd be ready. The rest... not so much.

My camera broke a few days ago, so I wont be able to share pics.. except maybe some from my phone. Maybe... I'll try ^^ Y'all have got to see my Roo, he's a majestic beast.

Wow TomTom! You are amazing. :hugs:

Tomtom, I don't think so! My JG's were stunted also. But I did an online search on them and found another gentleman that had some and had the same problem when he first bought his. But he upped the amount of protein in their diet and they sprang up in size. I got some 28% and in the last two weeks mine have shot up at least 2 inches! Just add protein!

Will give that a shot :)

I really need to head to the mill in Wilsonville... they apparently carry organic feed they make themselves. Surely they've got something with some decent protein in it too.

All TSC has is Dumor and Purina. Dumor makes them stink and Purina is all 'yay no animal proteins'... Perhaps time to start mealworm farming. I can't afford to give them scrambled eggs every day
lol.png

Wow TomTom! You are amazing.
hugs.gif
:
Ditto lady.....!
highfive.gif

Glad I'm not the only one who knows how to make a big ole Roo act like a baby. So true tomtommom!

When they get too routy, I will do like others stated. Pick him up, hold on to his ankle spurs, rest him in my arm like a football and proceed to do chores, even feeding others, while He waits....then, just for giggles, set down with him, cradle him up like a baby and rub his belly...Now, they just go on to sleep, totally embarrased...then I put them back in the pen with the ladies and he "grumbles". The one roo I had the most trouble with now loves to eat from my hand, while his ladies eat from their dish.

Does seem to calm them down for a while, especially if you have had to do it a few times. Can't let them know you are scared though. Just be careful and wear gloves, eye protection etc. until you are able to get them under control.

The main tip is what the poster said before, catching them/getting them down into that sit on the ground position/until they calm down (they will try to buck away) ...just like they make the ladies do, prior to mounting. Then calmly pick him up and carry him about your business.
hu.gif
It can be done, just have to be prepared and take your time. Choice is yours though...
thumbsup.gif

I chase my roo around every couple of days, for good measure. He likes to give me that look, as if he's ready to try and stand up to me. So I chase him around some, holding my arms wide and stomping on the ground. I don't care how stupid I look, he fears me
lau.gif

It's been a crazy month.. MIL passed away, had to magically make money appear to make arrangements (I only managed to magically make credit cards appear
hmm.png
). My mom flew over to kinda help distract the kiddo's and pay her respects. Had custody/divorce court only days after that. Dr.s visits etc.etc.etc. *brainsplode* I'm ready for things to settle down a bit again.

We've decided to just have another kid.. or well.. try. Get that out of the way
lol.png
Really, there's no point waiting til we have money. Because.. ya know.. that's never going to happen.

Man, oh man. I can relate to the funeral expenses. We've been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.

I am truly sorry for your loss. Never an easy thing to go through.

I believe in letting things be, even snakes. Every critter has its place. But when snakes get too close to the living spaces it's time to go Rambo on them.

Good luck with the family expansion. Years ago my then boss told me the same thing about marriage--if you wait until you can afford it you'll never get married.

Last edited:
Another snake lost it's life tonight. It got another of my boys. It somehow got past the lime. Dad had just checked on them 20 mins before Blu and I went to check all the pens. The remaining 3 are now in the house in a pet carrier. Funny thing is, one of the boys decided to try his hand at crowing while we caught the snake. Dad isn't getting out of building the snake proof cage tomorrow. Even if I have to act like I'm starting on it just to make him do it.

Two snakes in two days. I read an article in the newspaper the other day saying that the population hadn't gone up. I wonder what they'd say about this?

Back
Top Bottom