ALABAMA!!

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone in my area in either Limestone or Madison counties sees it and possibly knows something or someone. There have been a few posters up since last weekend near the intersection of Wall Triana and McKee Road saying that someone has found a Great Pyrenese. I know they are often used as LGDs and I'm sure if it's someone's LGD or just a pet, if it's their dog they are desperate to get the dog back.

I had that happen with my Silkie Roo. We let him and our standard sized roo out at the same time by mistake. I saw the standard sized one coming toward the Silkie and I worried about the poor little thing. That "poor little silkie" puffed out his chest and jumped up on the back of the bigger roo and pulled some feathers out before we got to them. The Silkie is about a 1/3 the size of the other roo! He is a Little cotton ball with an attitude, I sold the other one and just have the fluff ball now. He is a sweet roo to us .He is also a good roo with the hens..who are all standard size except one other Silkie.
Quote:
only problem I've had mixing banties with bigger chickens is the banty roosters think they weigh 40 pounds and can whip the yard rooster....

There's a feed store in Columbiana, called M&R or something, there's a co-op on 70 and there's the store in Wilsonville... I will find something affordable. I'd hate to keep paying $18-20 for 50 lbs of fairly inferior food.. bulk seems like it would be cheaper.

In other news, spent the night in a trauma room with my momma. She hadn't been feeling good and was coughing a bunch yesterday. Got real bad at night so I rushed her to the ER. Her oxygen was down to 75. Pneumonia and COPD flare-up.

They're keeping her a few days... she was supposed to fly back tomorrow.
roll.png

Never ends, does it?

Creepy enough, they're putting her in the same ward as my mother-in-law passed away at 3 weeks ago. Eerie, for sure. But, she's in much better shape. Still weird though, sitting in the dark staring at the monitor, like we did 3 weeks ago. Only now we're watching blood oxygen levels rise, instead of fall.

*shiver*

Those nurses are going to be so confused why we're there again.

My poor momma has been on an ER bed since midnight... they didn't have any beds open in the ICU... they're finally just bringing her to intermediate care, since she's not THAT serious.

Your family has had a rough go of it lately. I sure hope and pray your mother continues to improve.

It's going to be a longer road than expected.. She's coughing up quite a bit of blood and her stats are not wanting to stay up without the CPAP machine.

Her nurse actually recognized us from being there with my mother-in-law..

So I just read through other posts regarding aggressive roosters. Our chickens are almost 5 months old. We have 3 frizzles and 12 RIR. 4 of the RIR are roosters. One is the dominant rooster. One of the others has been so sweet and people friendly until this weekend. He pecked at my daughter and we thought maybe she had something on her to make him do that. Well, he did it again today. My husband quickly took him to his uncle's house. How do we prevent aggression or identify it before someone or some animal gets hurt? Is this usually just a rooster problem or can hens be aggressive too? Is this a breed specific issue with some breeds? Our chickens free-range during the day so they follow us around outside quite a bit. Thanks! I am upset about the whole situation so I would appreciate any advice.

So I just read through other posts regarding aggressive roosters. Our chickens are almost 5 months old. We have 3 frizzles and 12 RIR. 4 of the RIR are roosters. One is the dominant rooster. One of the others has been so sweet and people friendly until this weekend. He pecked at my daughter and we thought maybe she had something on her to make him do that. Well, he did it again today. My husband quickly took him to his uncle's house. How do we prevent aggression or identify it before someone or some animal gets hurt? Is this usually just a rooster problem or can hens be aggressive too? Is this a breed specific issue with some breeds? Our chickens free-range during the day so they follow us around outside quite a bit. Thanks! I am upset about the whole situation so I would appreciate any advice.

I've read some say that RIR (and maybe others) roosters from hatcheries can be more aggressive and perhaps unpredictable. I use to have two heritage RIR's that were great, nary a problem. The only time I got speared by a rooster was a hatchery RIR rooster about 7 years ago. I now have a bunch of Barred Rock roosters (I think). They were Lucky Strike extras from a hatchery in Texas. They're too young to cause a problem, yet. It will be interesting to see how they adapt.

I don't know what sets them off when a rooster becomes aggressive. I've never had a hen be aggressive towards me. Hope this has helped.

I've read some say that RIR (and maybe others) roosters from hatcheries can be more aggressive and perhaps unpredictable.  I use to have two heritage RIR's that were great, nary a problem.  The only time I got speared by a rooster was a hatchery RIR rooster about 7 years ago.  I now have a bunch of Barred Rock roosters (I think).  They were Lucky Strike extras from a hatchery in Texas.  They're too young to cause a problem, yet.  It will be interesting to see how they adapt.  

I don't know what sets them off when a rooster becomes aggressive.  I've never had a hen be aggressive towards me.  Hope this has helped.

Thanks! We got them from an individual. Obviously I will not tolerate even a chicken pecking at my daughter unprovoked but am I correct in assuming that if a rooster pecks then that is beginnings of aggression? He just doesn't have spurs yet so he pecks? Any other signs to watch for?

Thanks! We got them from an individual. Obviously I will not tolerate even a chicken pecking at my daughter unprovoked but am I correct in assuming that if a rooster pecks then that is beginnings of aggression? He just doesn't have spurs yet so he pecks? Any other signs to watch for?

Up until now and with everyone else, he has been the first chicken to greet you, let you pick him up, etc so maybe he just has something against kids based on size or something?

Quote: Not always. I had a RIR/BA roo that pecked at people, but it wasn't because he was aggressive. He just just expected you to have treats. My HRIR from the same hatch does it too, but other than that he's a sweetheart. I'm not sure that it goes for all roos, but I had an AGF roo that fluffed out his neck feathers before he pecked and when he did that he was trying to draw blood.

Back
Top Bottom