ALABAMA!!

Hi Everyone,
Wanted to let everyone around NE Alabama know that we are having a small livestock swap and sale on May 24th. It will be at the Harvest Feed Mill in Harvest, AL. We will be there from 10am-2pm. If you are interested in being a vendor, look on Facebook at AL Small Livestock Swap & Sale for details! Spread the word! I look forward to seeing everyone there!

My nipple water system doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere but their bedding gets wet very fast still somehow so I have a problem to figure out
he.gif
It doesn't help that my run has not been built yet because hubby keeps putting it off so the poor things haven't even been outside yet. Cleaning soaked stinky bedding is no fun!

Has anyone else had trouble finding pine shavings at their local TSC? I keep checking at mine but they didn't have it and said there's a shortage throughout the whole chain store.

My 6 big boys are getting feisty too! They aren't as bad on me but pecked a good spot on my husbands leg that bled. They mostly peck my toes from the holes in my rubber shoes. I still can't tell if either of my RIR little ones are pullets or roos.

I bought my bedding a week or two ago. They usually keep it outside.

If you post a pic we can probably tell you what you have.

Hi Everyone,
Wanted to let everyone around NE Alabama know that we are having a small livestock swap and sale on May 24th. It will be at the Harvest Feed Mill in Harvest, AL. We will be there from 10am-2pm. If you are interested in being a vendor, look on Facebook at AL Small Livestock Swap & Sale for details! Spread the word! I look forward to seeing everyone there!

I'll be Debbie Downer here and tell folks to NOT get birds from swap and sales. I know, no fun.

Go out, see all the other chicken/animal lovers, have a good time, but for the love of all that's cute and fluffy, don't bring/take animals to swap/sell. You're just asking for heart ache. Don't wear your "chicken coop shoes". Don't wear the same clothes at the swap and then saunter into your coop to check on your birds.

A three week quarantine doesn't do ANYTHING. Yeah, if they have mites or worms, you'll be able to tell. If they carry Marek's or respiratory illness or other dormant diseases, it wont necessarily pop up in three weeks time. If pick up sick birds, keeping them truly quarantined is near impossible. The wind WILL carry dander and such. You're not likely to swap your shoes and clothes while taking care of both flocks... sure, maybe the first week, but you will forget at some point (heck, I do that stuff.... I've worn my coop clothes to TSC... I'm probably part of the problem myself. People do that.)

Again, hate to be the one raining on the parade, but with my flock being sick currently it just drives the point home all the more (even though I never participated in a swap and sale... I just got 'lucky' with TSC birds.. or possibly picked it up on my clothes while visiting TSC).

Now, if you don't give a hoot about your flock carrying diseases and are willing to deal with losses and perpetuating disease to other flocks, swap, swap, swap! Want a few of my birds too?
lol.png

Just trying to share the knowledge, to those new to the hobby. I've seen folks lose their first flock due to not knowing they got sick birds to begin with.

I bought my bedding a week or two ago. They usually keep it outside.

If you post a pic we can probably tell you what you have.
The Bessemer has been out of it the last two times I went over a 3 week span -_- My dad is coming over to have a look at the water system in a bit and I'll try to get a picture then.

Try your local county co-op store, or a feed and seed store. You'll probably be able to find the bedding, plus it'll probably be less expensive.
I may have to try Thrasher Feed Store in Bessemer. I have no idea what they have or price I guess I will call first :) The 6 bags I had stored up have been depleted from wet bedding
hmm.png

I hope everyone is okay and not having too much trouble from the weather. We've had problems but not as bad as some.

Late Sunday night, DH and I were out in the driving wind and lighting, trying to access and handle the results of the wind. Roofs off of two of my coops, trees down, flooding (not too bad at my place, just really soggy and a couple of inches of sheeting water in my coops) and no power for over 24 hours. I didn't loose any adult birds, but I had a chick in the "bra-bator" all night. I had washed it in warm water and put it in the hatcher to dry just before the power went out. The others were dry and in the brooder. The sad part for me is the eggs that were/are in the Sportsman. There are nearly 200 eggs that were in there that probably won't hatch. I had to work and couldn't be there when he hooked it up to the borrowed generator, so I don't know what the temp got down to, but my guess would be in the 70's.

Sixty of those eggs were an order for a lady that has a petting zoo and needs chicks for an Easter event in two weeks. I called to give her the news, and she just BOO_HOOed. She went on to explain that her barn flooded (over waist deep) and she lost almost all of the animals she uses in her business. All but one of her pygmy goat kids, all her bunnies, piglets, kittens, and a few birds. It's so sad. She is struggling to get started and has just been able to secure a couple of large events and now she has no animals. The only insurance she has is for liability.

Eighteen of my eggs were the exhibition quality Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas that I had shipped to me from Texas. The rest were my Silver Campines that I have been working so hard to get started. The last batch of SCs are in the hatcher and there are no signs of pips today (day 22.)

We don't have a generator. We have several that we can borrow. All of those were in use by their owners and we were not able to get one for the first 8-10 hours. There are power company employees feverishly working to restore power, but there are lots of large trees to remove and detangle first.

As far as I know, there were no losses of human life in my community, but there was a child swept away and drowned in a nearby city. The strange thing is, these were not tornadoes. It was over 5" of rain to soak the ground, then strong straight line winds. It was just the right mix (or wrong mix) that caused the problems.

I have my friends, neighbors, and family, the animals can be replaced.

Last edited:
I hope everyone is okay and not having too much trouble from the weather. We've had problems but not as bad as some.

Late Sunday night, DH and I were out in the driving wind and lighting, trying to access and handle the results of the wind. Roofs off of two of my coops, trees down, flooding (not too bad at my place, just really soggy and a couple of inches of sheeting water in my coops) and no power for over 24 hours. I didn't loose any adult birds, but I had a chick in the "bra-bator" all night. I had washed it in warm water and put it in the hatcher to dry just before the power went out. The others were dry and in the brooder. The sad part for me is the eggs that were/are in the Sportsman. There are nearly 200 eggs that were in there that probably won't hatch. I had to work and couldn't be there when he hooked it up to the borrowed generator, so I don't know what the temp got down to, but my guess would be in the 70's.

Sixty of those eggs were an order for a lady that has a petting zoo and needs chicks for an Easter event in two weeks. I called to give her the news, and she just BOO_HOOed. She went on to explain that her barn flooded (over waist deep) and she lost almost all of the animals she uses in her business. All but one of her pygmy goat kids, all her bunnies, piglets, kittens, and a few birds. It's so sad. She is struggling to get started and has just been able to secure a couple of large events and now she has no animals. The only insurance she has is for liability.

Eighteen of my eggs were the exhibition quality Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas that I had shipped to me from Texas. The rest were my Silver Campines that I have been working so hard to get started. The last batch of SCs are in the hatcher and there are no signs of pips today (day 22.)

We don't have a generator. We have several that we can borrow. All of those were in use by their owners and we were not able to get one for the first 8-10 hours. There are power company employees feverishly working to restore power, but there are lots of large trees to remove and detangle first.

As far as I know, there were no losses of human life in my community, but there was a child swept away and drowned in a nearby city. The strange thing is, these were not tornadoes. It was over 5" of rain to soak the ground, then strong straight line winds. It was just the right mix (or wrong mix) that caused the problems.

Wisher, I have been following some other threads and apparently COOL temps may not kill your eggs, just delay them! It's the heat spikes that kill! So
fl.gif
Your babies may still be ok.

I hate to hear about so much loss of life, be it animal or human. We supposedly had 7 inches of rain.. luckily my yard drains fast, the coop is a muddy mess though. Our local park is totally flooded. I'm glad to say Montevallo has mostly enough sense not to build in flood plains and just makes them parks.

My husband's job lost power last night.. so they had to close. I don't know if the power is on yet, will have to ask him when he comes out of his meeting. So sad, too bad for the company, but let's face it, not having $5 pizza is not really the end of the world.

Haven't seen any real bad damage here.. although I have heard about trailers practically floating away in Pelham, roads washing away in Helena... the Cahaba river and Buck Creek are a MESS.

We'll see the real damage once the water drops, I'm sure.

We're sure having one crazy winter in this country!

I'm sorry to hear about your eggs. Hopefully some of the eggs survived. Especially your Silver Campines and Ameracuanas.
And I feel really sorry for the lady that has a petting zoo. Hope she is able to recover from it.

But happy to hear that you, your friends, and family are all safe.

Back
Top Bottom