ALABAMA!!

I agree, Tom, but most of these eggs were in their first 10 days of incubation and that is the worst time to have temp drops, I think. I have not given up on them, but I don't really expect much. I just hate it for the lady with the petting zoo. It is too late to start another batch for her and probably too late to order from a hatchery.

I was at work, trying my best to get everything taken care of so I could rush home, when my phone rang. It was DS#3 and he said that there were some people there to buy some chickens. I had not arranged to meet anyone to buy chicks so I told him to hand them his phone. I asked to whom was I speaking and it was the NPIP inspector! I told her to use my boys to help her and I would be there as soon as I could. I finished up my paperwork and flew home (we live about 25 minutes from town.) They were just finishing up when I got home. She was very nice, and bragged on my boys being a huge help in catching and holding the birds for testing. At least that is out of the way and I'm NPIP certified Pullorum and AI clean (again!!)

Last edited:
Oh Wisher! I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble! I'm glad you were able to get out there and repair things. I hope what Tomtommom says will be true for your eggs! That's just terrible about the poor lady with the petting zoo, I hope she is able to recoup her losses. I'm glad to hear none of your family or friends were hurt. We lost power for a few hours and I was just glad the chicks all have a good bit of feathers on them. Good luck with your eggs!

Wisher, so sorry to hear of your troubles! Congratulations on your npip! And very sorry to hear of the lady with the petting zoo! Will she be able to recover? It's always sad to hear about loss of life, any life! Praying for you!

I hope everyone is okay and not having too much trouble from the weather. We've had problems but not as bad as some.

Late Sunday night, DH and I were out in the driving wind and lighting, trying to access and handle the results of the wind. Roofs off of two of my coops, trees down, flooding (not too bad at my place, just really soggy and a couple of inches of sheeting water in my coops) and no power for over 24 hours. I didn't loose any adult birds, but I had a chick in the "bra-bator" all night. I had washed it in warm water and put it in the hatcher to dry just before the power went out. The others were dry and in the brooder. The sad part for me is the eggs that were/are in the Sportsman. There are nearly 200 eggs that were in there that probably won't hatch. I had to work and couldn't be there when he hooked it up to the borrowed generator, so I don't know what the temp got down to, but my guess would be in the 70's.

Sixty of those eggs were an order for a lady that has a petting zoo and needs chicks for an Easter event in two weeks. I called to give her the news, and she just BOO_HOOed. She went on to explain that her barn flooded (over waist deep) and she lost almost all of the animals she uses in her business. All but one of her pygmy goat kids, all her bunnies, piglets, kittens, and a few birds. It's so sad. She is struggling to get started and has just been able to secure a couple of large events and now she has no animals. The only insurance she has is for liability.

Eighteen of my eggs were the exhibition quality Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas that I had shipped to me from Texas. The rest were my Silver Campines that I have been working so hard to get started. The last batch of SCs are in the hatcher and there are no signs of pips today (day 22.)

We don't have a generator. We have several that we can borrow. All of those were in use by their owners and we were not able to get one for the first 8-10 hours. There are power company employees feverishly working to restore power, but there are lots of large trees to remove and detangle first.

As far as I know, there were no losses of human life in my community, but there was a child swept away and drowned in a nearby city. The strange thing is, these were not tornadoes. It was over 5" of rain to soak the ground, then strong straight line winds. It was just the right mix (or wrong mix) that caused the problems.

I have my friends, neighbors, and family, the animals can be replaced.
Oh no poor lady! I would be heartbroken if I lost all my animals! So sad about the child too :(
Sorry to hear about your eggs. I hope some will still hatch for you
fl.gif

If you post a pic we can probably tell you what you have.

Of my little chicks 5 of the 6 stay together. When they were first put with the big ones (after being in the coop but sectioned off) when one of the 4 BR's were challenged by the bigger chicks it charged and pecked back at the challenger and has been accepted to that flock ever since. That was a fun experience to see :) It's very hard to get non blurry pictures, especially in a very narrow run where you can easy bang your head on the roost lol.

Here they are. Any ideas on gender for the RIR's anyone?

and just because she's my favorite... here's Angel again
big_smile.png

Also one of my EE's is a lot smaller than the other ones. I have 6 and while almost all of them are smaller than say the Black Australorps, this one EE is the size of the younger 6 that I have and they are about 3 weeks younger than the the big bunch.

Is there ANY pink in those combs? They look all yellow to me. The roos usually pink up by the time they are feathered out. Maybe a good sign, you could have two pullets. On the other hand, one def has more comb than the other.......

For your comparison pleasure: My flock at 9 weeks old. Only one boy present.... notice the tiny combs and wattles.

I'm afraid you may have a bunch of boys.. but, you might get lucky.. you never know!

The sad part for me is the eggs that were/are in the Sportsman. There are nearly 200 eggs that were in there that probably won't hatch. I had to work and couldn't be there when he hooked it up to the borrowed generator, so I don't know what the temp got down to, but my guess would be in the 70's.
Wisher, I lost power for over 18 hours once and 26 out of 28 hatched with no problems. I was pleasantly surprised and I hope you will be too.

Back
Top Bottom