ALABAMA!!

I have a chicken itch.

My flock doesn't look right anymore.. too small.
gig.gif
I'm down to 16 chickens! It's not right.

Worst of all, they're all black, black and white or white. BOOOORING. I've got 2 black Aussies, 3 black Jersey giants, 1 black easter egger, 2 black aussie x marans *yawn* 2 white rocks, 2 barred rocks, 1 splash Marans (white/light grey/splotchey) and then a RIR, orange splash Marans and the partridge rock. (Ok, ok, I got one RIR, an orange Marans and a partridge rock, but that leaves 13 black&white birds)

And my ducks are B&W too. What. The. Heck.

I need some fun birds
sad.png
How about a lavender olive egger?

Last edited:
I just found this in my nest boxes and no eggs left in the boxes, it has been hours there should have been some. It slipped away right after I took this while my back was turned to get my kids to go inside. Does anyone know what kind this is? I closed all doors and my chickens are in the yard not able to get back in until my husband gets home to kill it.

Maybe a Gray rat snake or more likely an Eastern rat snake, but they are both called "chicken snakes" in parts of the country. They will eat eggs and chicks but not usually full grown chickens. I found one coiled up under a broody hen one time, snake and hen were content.

Last edited:
Your girls should not be afraid of snakes, they are beneficial and eat pests. They should learn to recognize the venomous ones and respect their space, but I have taught my boys to catch the harmless ones and relocate them. I did it mostly because my DH has an unreasonable fear of all snakes and I didn't want that passed on to our children.

Quote: How many hens did you get? I remember that you had tons of cockerels. Of the cockerels, did you see any white in their feathers? In the base of the tail? Anywhere?

I will have some for you for sure, as a matter of fact, once I make my final selection on which ones I will be using for breeding, I can let some POL pullets go. That will be this fall/winter.

Back
Top Bottom