ALABAMA!!

Maybe a Gray rat snake or more likely an Eastern rat snake, but they are both called "chicken snakes" in parts of the country. They will eat eggs and chicks but not usually full grown chickens. I found one coiled up under a broody hen one time, snake and hen were content.
It's a grey. I haven't seen any this year oddly enough. :/

Traditionally, they are great layers.  These particular birds are breeder stock which means that they have been bred more for show than eggs. ...  Once you see them, you will want them, right, Dragonfly216?

Ohmigoodness, YES! My birds that I got from you are HUGE AND BEAUTIFUL! I need to get some more girls from ya for real. I have what is probably going to be a blue roo that I would LOVE to put against some of your beautiful girls. Not only are they gorgeous, but they are really healthy too! That roo daddy is GIGANTIC! I highly recommend Wishers birds! Love her Easter Eggers too, my two hens from her are my favorites!

Edited to add: I'm still very interested in buying a couple of SC pullets in the spring when you have them ready too! Please put me on the list! :-D

How many hens did you get?  I remember that you had tons of cockerels.  Of the cockerels, did you see any white in their feathers?  In the base of the tail?  Anywhere? 

I will have some for you for sure, as a matter of fact, once I make my final selection on which ones I will be using for breeding, I can let some POL pullets go.  That will be this fall/winter.

I had planned on getting ten black orps and after seeing your beautiful egg basket, I ended up with 6 BOs and 10 Easter Eggers. I ended up with no hens from the BOs and two hens from the EEs. I knew I was cutting my chances of getting any girls by getting less of that type of chick, but I was so excited about the EEs! The black orps did have bits of white on the wing tips, not any on the tails, but after a molt or two, they're all black and beautiful! I'd love to get some POL pullets from you! I bet I can talk my boyfriend into an early Christmas present :)

I knew you were plagued with boys. Yikes! I got the rooster at a great price because he has white in the feathers at the base of his tail. The breeder said it could grow out with his next molt or maybe not. I think that there was some sort of injury that caused the white because none of his offspring have had the white like him. Yes, the tiny chicks have some white tipped wing feathers at first, but they are replaced with black ones at the first molt. Would you be interested in the breeders? I am about ready to sell them. I enjoyed them, and the chicks I hatched, but I really need the space to concentrate on the Silver Campines.

The rooster and one hen are coming three. One pullet is from this spring's hatch, so less than a year. I have two others that may or may not be pure, two are pullets, but one may be half BCM, and one is likely a cockerel. I will make you or someone a deal on all of them.

Oh man, I would LOVE all those good breeders. Hmmmm let me see what happens with this hatchery that I got these "sexed" chicks from. I got five roosters that were supposed to be rare egg layers. Not gonna be laying any eggs..... :-\. If they replace all of them, I'm gonna have a bunch of extra chickens. But if they only offer to refund me money, then I can talk chicken with you! I hate to pass on your offer and possibly miss out, but I don't want to be overrun just yet......geez I need some more coops, lol!

Quote:

They seem to like the coop. Going to have to get a better watering system and buy some more feed this afternoon.
I suggest that you get a broom handle or 2x2 and lay it across the top of the run, then hang a waterer there. They would likely appreciate a bit more shade until it cools off some. Is there more ventilation in the back of the coop? I would watch to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Last edited:
Wow! I can't believe you found it! I haven't seen any snakes this year, but year-before-last I caught three, different sizes and kinds (by hand) in one day and caught a total of seven (in traps) in a month's time.
That's a lot of snakes!
I closed off the whole coop knowing it was still in there but I couldn't find what it had slithered in to. DH has some tools and crap in the front but when everything got quiet it went back into the same nest box it was in to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom