ALABAMA!!

I thought about a LGD but I'd probably have to buy a bigger couch LOL. I'm surprised there's not a chicken in here.

Our LGD Anatolian Shephard/Pyrenese 8 month old puppy came in at night the past few nights when it was so cold. He immediately claimed the couch. Wisher, how is your puppy doing ? And he keeps our cats away from the chickens. He "tolerates" the cats, but he will pick them up and toss them sometimes if they aren't behaving like he thinks they should. He is very protective of HIS chickens.

I had them outside (plexiglass on one side, haybale wall on the other 2 sides, coop interior on the front) with the heat plate, but they got too big. Not sure why you decided to cross them with eagles
tongue.png
These babies are BIG. So I put a light up, and that was perfectly fine with them, until 10F hit.
lol.png
They were piled up and shivering. Tomorrow they're all going back out. Justin has been overly protective about the cold. I swear he'd buy them all little jackets if he could.

Intuition has always served me well, and my intuition says they would've been ok outside last night. But hey, whatever lets him sleep at night.

Well now it has been mentioned, wisely about heat. If you supply heat and your birds have not made the adjustment to the cold gradually and the electricity goes out, they will be cold.

Here in NYS, it will be 30F Monday but go to 10F on Tuesday. I never stress if I get no eggs during the cold months and don't downsize as each additional body means more heat in the coop.

This particular coop has Fleece stapled to the front (back has feed bags covering it) except for that one little sliver opposite Big Delores, white hen. Surprisingly that is the side they choose to roost at night. There is a roost on the other side completely covered with fleece but they choose to roost where there is an opening. AND this coop give me eggs everyday. Of course they are mostly young birds, but the cold doesn't seem to bother them as much as the squirrel that gets in there to eat their feed, but that is another story.

Again I keep large breed fit for a cold climate. This is an older picture but Big Delores still lays some and is a great broody mom.

I recently watched a Nature program about wild life in France and they noted the "Dipper" bird diving in the cold glacial water to get grubs for her chick. Birds are an amazing creature.

Everyone is back outside. The hens are happy it's a little warmer, as are the ducks. They prefer their water in it's liquid state
lol.png

To me it feels downright balmy and I was walking outside in a shirt (no coat) at 8 this morning.

I finished tagging my birds (replaced the old zipties, putting bigger ones on, reassessing my guesses on male/female). Those pea combs are awfully hard to guess. Single combs are a lot easier. Got 5 questionable birdies, about 6 definite males and 4 "I am certain you're female" birds. We'll see how close my guesses are. I am 100% sure on 4 males, red single combs at 1 month old. 80% sure on 2 other males. The other 5 questionable ones have some features that say male, but behavior and body size tell me otherwise.

It's no science, just fun on my behalf.

I'll see about getting some pictures so y'all can join the fun
wink.png

We increased our flock by 2. Now we have 7, 6 of which our girls. Our rooster certainly does not seem to mind. I am hoping to increase by another 6 girls but talking my hubby into it might be interesting.

We increased our flock by 2. Now we have 7, 6 of which our girls. Our rooster certainly does not seem to mind. I am hoping to increase by another 6 girls but talking my hubby into it might be interesting.

Getting eggs yet? I seem to recall you waiting endlessly on those.

Just wait til spring, if you're lucky TSC will carry them around V-day
wink.png
*hint hint hubby*

Enjoy all the clutter and all the poop.
lol.png
I aint got nothing to hide.

Seriously though, just showing how our setup works. Everything tarp is normally 1/4" hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom