ALABAMA!!

yup...ducks are a whole nother level of messy! Best brood them outdoors for sure.

Tom -- the scovys look great! You'll have babies soon too I would imagine. Didn't you get a male in that group??

What a gorgeous coop! Wanna come build one for me?
fl.gif

Got the brooder done and coop is getting close. 15 chicks show up on Tuesday from Meyers! Getting excited!

Well now if you are new to brooding chicks, I feel it's only fair to warn you that they are very dusty.

I brooded my first 25 in my office. I started with one Plastic bin and that grew to four. They came on Feb 22. I will never forget it. by the time I moved them to the back room I needed two four foot areas and two heat lights.

Though I am in NYS so it was to cold to move them to the outside coop until April or May. Fool that I am I should have run a cord with a light to the coop but didn't think of that.

Anyhow keep them in the house the shortest time possible or you will be dusting the entire room.

Your coop and brooder do look nice though.

Well now if you are new to brooding chicks, I feel it's only fair to warn you that they are very dusty.

I brooded my first 25 in my office. I started with one Plastic bin and that grew to four. They came on Feb 22. I will never forget it. by the time I moved them to the back room I needed two four foot areas and two heat lights.

Though I am in NYS so it was to cold to move them to the outside coop until April or May. Fool that I am I should have run a cord with a light to the coop but didn't think of that.

Anyhow keep them in the house the shortest time possible or you will be dusting the entire room.

Your coop and brooder do look nice though.

x2 I keep mine indoors for 3-4 weeks TOPS, basically until they're not teeny tiny anymore (teeny tiny chicks seem to get stuck in stupid places).

They're messy and smelly, no matter how often you clean them. They will somehow poo in their food and spill water everywhere.
lol.png

Kimberly, yeah, 1 male, 3 females.

That's my stud muffin, Heimlich.

See the resemblance?

Oh, wisher, those baby boys are CROWING. 1 month old and crowing...
roll.png
Lots of chest bumping and jumping going on too. There's a few girls in there, but it seems we have a whole lot of chickie testosterone roaring.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I plan to move them to the coop at about four weeks, with an ecoglow 20. Think that would work?

Wisher, I can be bribed with some of those chicks you're hatching! Gotta warn you though, it's a 10 footer (looks great from 10 feet away). This is my first time building anything bigger than furniture!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom