ALABAMA!!

No need, Jack, we have all had dead chicks at one time or another. If there is no chance of cocci (you would see bloody poo) it is likely stress. Make sure to keep them warm (95o) and keep their bedding clean and dry. I would give them some boiled egg yolk. You may add plain yogurt, tuna, or cat food. Your chick likely died of stress or trauma from the shipment (these are shipped chicks, right?) Poly Vi Sol without iron may help. If you have one that looks bad, try a couple of drops of sugar water. All of this is just to support them until they recover from the trip.

My fodder for the chickens is looking' good! Started this last Tuesday evening. Can't wait to feed it to them. It will be their first time.
1f60a.png

My fodder for the chickens is looking' good! Started this last Tuesday evening. Can't wait to feed it to them. It will be their first time.
1f60a.png

cool good luck!

i was feeding my 7 pullets (6 of which i know are laying) fodder and then i stopped for awhile and I saw a drastic drop in egg production, i was getting like 5 eggs a day.. now I'am lucky if i get three

Thanks Wisher, I fed them a boiled yolk at lunch today. Two were looking a little lathargic.

For the dead chick, I wanted to post for help in identifying the breed, as I have one mystery bird in my flock and wanted to see if it was the one that died.

One of our day old EEs. Question, we had three that didn't make it and one was a mystery bird. Is it acceptable to post a pic of a dead chic for your opinions on what it was?

If these are "shipped" chicks? I like to make their first few waterings with sugar water. This will pic them off a bit. Stress of shipping can cause problems. My motto is to move slowly when with your chickens and never chase or cause them to panic. Talk to them. They do get used to your voice and you will see it has a calming effect on them. They will recognize you and anyone who spends a great deal of time around them.

If you have other pets like dogs or cats they will get used to them too. A strange cat or dog will set them off. Chickens are not as dump as some claim.

Thanks Wisher, I fed them a boiled yolk at lunch today. Two were looking a little lathargic.

For the dead chick, I wanted to post for help in identifying the breed, as I have one mystery bird in my flock and wanted to see if it was the one that died.

You can send me one via PM, I dont mind. Can't promise I'm the greatest at IDing breeds, but I can try
smile.png

So, they tried fodder for the first time. At first they weren't sure what to do with it. After about a min, they dug right in and love it!
263a.png

cool good luck!

i was feeding my 7 pullets (6 of which i know are laying) fodder and then i stopped for awhile  and I saw a drastic drop in egg production, i was getting like 5 eggs a day.. now I'am lucky if i get three

Back
Top Bottom