ALABAMA!!

So, I apparently missed the notice saying it's time for mallards to lay. I just came in from fixing up Ducky Girl's favorite nest box with some hay. She made a nest out of the leaves that fell off the live oak growing next to the run. The laptop is down again, so no pics. The quail started laying again yesterday. :D

I think that is an excellent idea....I bet its cool putting a face to the screen names....
It is and you meet some nice people, make new friends, swap stories and eat and drink and buy and sell chickens and chicks and eggs and other stuff. We have the auction and folks put up stuff they made. The money from the tickets goes to the host/hostess to offset the cost of renting tables or tents or meat or clean up or what ever. It s a good way to pick up breeds you want but can't have a lot of .

Hey folks,
Having an issue with one of our 11 day old chicks and we're in need of some advise. 1 of our 12 chicks is showing symptoms of bumblefoot, but as I understand it, this doesn't usually manifest in chicks. I was hoping one of my fellow Alabamians might be able to offer some advice. Also, if you're in the Huntsville area and can recommend a vet, we'd like to price that option.

Here's a link to the post I've made:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948646/10-day-old-chick-with-bumblefoot-symptoms-please-advise

Thanks in advance!

I don't know where in the Huntsville area but in Morgan/ Cullman County, Dr Edwards is a good farm vet. There is an Avian vet in Hartselle. I have no idea how much she costs as I have never used her but she has been open for a long time.

Got a suprise blue egg today. Was NOT expecting that one. I thought my lone Ameraucana was an Easter Egger and laying brown eggs. I've had the darn bird for 8 months and her comb has been bright red for atleast 2 months. Good things come to those who wait, I guess, because it's a fullsize egg, big enough to rival my hen eggs.

Apparently, I was wrong.

My kiddo is over the moon
lol.png

I got 10 eggs out of 13 birds yesterday, today seems to be heading that way too. What a difference from a few weeks ago when I was getting 3 on a good day, none on a bad one.

Between the Marans eggs, the pale tan Rock eggs and this blue one we're on our way to a nice basket of eggs.

Anyone have any luck with rehoming Roosters and silky pairs? I have a blue splash Andalusian that is pretty as they come but mean as all get out and a hen/ rooster silkie pair as well as a solo silky rooster and was wondering whether anyone has had luck with the free rehoming page or whether it was more trouble than it was worth. I do not have NPIP status so shipping is definitely out and I could send them to freezer camp.

Just wandering....

Anyone have any luck with rehoming Roosters and silky pairs?  I have a blue splash Andalusian that is pretty as they come but mean as all get out and a hen/ rooster silkie pair as well as a solo silky rooster and was wondering whether anyone has had luck with the free rehoming page or whether it was more trouble than it was worth.  I do not have NPIP status so shipping is definitely out and I could send them to freezer camp.  

Just wandering....

I know several people trying to build /rebuild flocks in southeast Al. Where are u?

The silkie pair are white (not exhibition quality) but nice birds. She is a year older than the Cockerel. He is young (raised last year) but takes very good care of his hen. The other silkie is his brother. The Andalusian was a free be from a McMurray order.

Back
Top Bottom