ALABAMA!!

Why does it seem like I'm always fighting with dad about chickens? My birthday is Tuesday and Blue wanted to get me some eggs to hatch. Dad said no chickens unless they're RIR. Now he says no chickens. This is driving me crazy.

Has he told you why only RIRs?

You could always go with "they were sold to me as RIRs... They must have mixed them up...." Just thinking out loud here - don't mind the crazy in the corner....

TTM - I have 6 of the chicks from the hatch we shared, 3 SCs hatched the same day, 6 a week younger, 4 a week younger, 5 a week younger, and 5 that hatched yesterday. So far, I can only say that I "think" TWO are girls, and they are in the oldest group. I am fairly certain that all of the rest of the oldest 15 are defiantly boys.

barnie.gif

TTM - I have 6 of the chicks from the hatch we shared, 3 SCs hatched the same day, 6 a week younger, 4 a week younger, 5 a week younger, and 5 that hatched yesterday. So far, I can only say that I "think" TWO are girls, and they are in the oldest group. I am fairly certain that all of the rest of the oldest 15 are defiantly boys.

barnie.gif

I'm having a whooole lotta boys too. And they're fighting too. Chest bumping, jumping on top of eachother, dragging eachother around by the comb. Feisty bunch
th.gif

I've got ATLEAST 6 definite boys, big red combs and attitudes to match, 6 questionable ones and only 3 I'm sure are pullets.
roll.png

But, they are beautiful.

I need to go out and take more pictures again. They're growing like weeds.

Why does it seem like I'm always fighting with dad about chickens? My birthday is Tuesday and Blue wanted to get me some eggs to hatch. Dad said no chickens unless they're RIR. Now he says no chickens. This is driving me crazy.

Has he told you why only RIRs?

You could always go with "they were sold to me as RIRs... They must have mixed them up...." Just thinking out loud here - don't mind the crazy in the corner....

I really have no idea. When I first started talking about getting dual purpose again he said he wanted RIRs so we got 3 and got a BA since they had them. I had to fight to get her.

I've already thought about faking a botched order. That's a plan in the works. :p

My hubby, gotta love him. I came home and he said he made more nest boxes, I went to check it out, nice work! But where did you get those funny looking chips, I ask. A bag in the shed he replied. I have not bought any more chips, I just been using straw. I got the empty bag from the trash can. He used a bag of hickory chips for the smoker.
As we say here in the south "bless it"
I guess he wants to marinate them and hatch them at the same time.

Quote: m having a whooole lotta boys too. And they're fighting too. Chest bumping, jumping on top of each other, dragging each other around by the comb. Feisty bunch

I've got AT LEAST 6 definite boys, big red combs and attitudes to match"

I feel your pain!! I got 8 Blue Orpington peepers. Beautiful birds! Seven of the eight turned out to be boys!

I still have one to re-home.
th.gif

I can admit to a lot of failed dreams. When I was a kid I either wanted to be a vet or a horse trainer. Now I just own a horse, which was also a childhood dream. I wanted to be a storyboarder for video games, but I let my art slip too far. I want to build and sell game based armor, but that's not possible at the moment so I keep it in mind and never forget it.

My current dream and the one I've had the longest is to raise chickens. The only problem is that dad has for some reason put a breed restriction on me. RIR only. I consider myself lucky to have a dom and BA. I want a little more veriety. Which he won't let me have.

Honey, we all have failed dreams. I was just reading a homesteading book. "Homesteading in the 21st Century" Jane Waterman. She says

"It truly did seem like a good idea at the time. At age 30 with four children the youngest just 2, and a teenage foster son, I enrolled as a freshman at nearby Johnson State college. Five years later, I became one of the 93 out of 3,000 applicants to be admitted to the University of Vermont college of Medicine Class of 1990. blah, blah, blah. I graduated from Medical School on my 40th birthday.

Sorry for seeming short, but HE can't stop you if you really want it. Don't let your parents get in the way of your dream. They'll be dead and you'll be filled with regret, and you can tell them I said so!

I could go on and on about folks who failed plenty before they succeeded. If you want it, take a look at all the reasons it can't be? What is left is why it can be. Do you have a job? Start there.

My daughter couldn't find a teaching job here in NYS. So she went on line and applied around the country to places she thought she'd like to live. Well one place rejected her and told her straight out she would never be allowed to teach in El Paso. She did get hired in Houston and she has had some of the highest success rates in her math students. If you can do the work you can succeed. Don't doubt yourself. I don't know you personally but if you need to talk to a relative or counselor.

Heck my daughter encouraged me to go back to school and out of eight kids I'm the only one with a college degree. I was in my 50's.

When I told my mother in law I took the postal exam for a job she said " I don't want to be negative but you won't get it". Well I got my results and I got 99.0 with no extra points for being a veteran. I retired from the PO in 2008. HAH!

Last edited:
Quote:
Honey, we all have failed dreams. I was just reading a homesteading book. "Homesteading in the 21st Century" Jane Waterman. She says

"It truly did seem like a good idea at the time. At age 30 with four children the youngest just 2, and a teenage foster son, I enrolled as a freshman at nearby Johnson State college. Five years later, I became one of the 93 out of 3,000 applicants to be admitted to the University of Vermont college of Medicine Class of 1990. blah, blah, blah. I graduated from Medical School on my 40th birthday.

Sorry for seeming short, but HE can't stop you if you really want it. Don't let your parents get in the way of your dream. They'll be dead and you'll be filled with regret, and you can tell them I said so!

I could go on and on about folks who failed plenty before they succeeded. If you want it, take a look at all the reasons it can't be? What is left is why it can be. Do you have a job? Start there.

My daughter couldn't find a teaching job here in NYS. So she went on line and applied around the country to places she thought she'd like to live. Well one place rejected her and told her straight out she would never be allowed to teach in El Paso. She did get hired in Houston and she has had some of the highest success rates in her math students. If you can do the work you can succeed. Don't doubt yourself. I don't know you personally but if you need to talk to a relative or counselor.

Heck my daughter encouraged me to go back to school and out of eight kids I'm the only one with a college degree. I was in my 50's.

When I told my mother in law I took the postal exam for a job she said " I don't want to be negative but you won't get it". Well I got my results and I got 99.0 with no extra points for being a veteran. I retired from the PO in 2008. HAH!
I'm trying to work around him. He says we don't have room for more pens, but I can count a ton of room. Get some of the junk out the way and there's plenty of room. I honestly can't understand why he's trying to put so many restrictions on me. In happier news, mom is going to pay for my chick order as a late birthday present. My mom actually remembers where my love of chickens came from, so she's trying to help me. I just have to keep it under $100. Shipping and all.

Back
Top Bottom