ALABAMA!!

Raz - You know I love you, but I feel I need to interject some thoughts here.

If you are an adult, living in your parent's home, you need to respect the rules they impose. It is their house, not yours. Even though you grew up there and were allowed to have your animals there as a child, it does not give you the right to continue to do so for the rest of your life. You have a child, now and a husband, and if you also want to have your animals, you need to be supporting them as well as yourself and your child. I'm sorry to be so blunt with you, but somebody needs to. If your dad doesn't want chickens at his house, he shouldn't have to have them there. Put all your efforts and money into getting your own place. Everyone will be better off for it.

If you simply can't, and staying with your parents in their house is your only option right now, be content with what animals are there now and don't add to the numbers if he is against it. It is not fair to him if you do. If Mom buys them after he said no, it could cause an argument between them, do you want to let that happen? I could understand his point if you can't afford your own place, you can't afford to have the animals. Be thankful that you have a room, not whining that you can't have more chickens.

I know, it's none of my business........ JMHO.

If you are an adult, living in your parent's home, you need to respect the rules they impose. It is their house, not yours. Even though you grew up there and were allowed to have your animals there as a child, it does not give you the right to continue to do so for the rest of your life. You have a child, now and a husband, and if you also want to have your animals, you need to be supporting them as well as yourself and your child. I'm sorry to be so blunt with you, but somebody needs to. If your dad doesn't want chickens at his house, he shouldn't have to have them there. Put all your efforts and money into getting your own place. Everyone will be better off for it.

If you simply can't, and staying with your parents in their house is your only option right now, be content with what animals are there now and don't add to the numbers if he is against it. It is not fair to him if you do. If Mom buys them after he said no, it could cause an argument between them, do you want to let that happen? I could understand his point if you can't afford your own place, you can't afford to have the animals. Be thankful that you have a room, not whining that you can't have more chickens.

just got caught up in here and i agree with wisher. you shouldn't be having a "how many chickens can i get in here" battle with your land lord.

I respect your opinion Wisher. The problem is, it's just my dad that's fighting against me at every turn. I'm a lot like him and it tends to create a lot of problems. Mom asked me to move in when we came back from Florida, because there's a lot of things they need help with. Before I moved down there dad sold all our game chickens. We made a good bit off them in spring and summer. Lets just say mom got pretty mad at him. Right now she's mediating between us. I'm pushing to get a rooster and breeds I want. Mom got him to agree because I'm not ordering a ton of chicks and I'm getting a RIR roo. I'm not trying to completely defy him. I'm trying to get him to understand that the plan we originally came up with years ago isn't going to work without a little compromise on his part and breeds that are more willing to go broody. In almost 4 years only one of my original 3 hens has gone broody. He won't let me incubate eggs or get a silky hen. I'm trying to find a balance and it's not exactly working.

Like I said, I love you lots, and I sincerely hope it works out and you find that balance.
hugs.gif

I forgot to add that she just asks that I humor dad and get a RIR roo.

If I were to get RIR's I'd get the Rosecomb variety. You being in AL could do the single combs. There are some very nice dark RIR's. Plus if you hatch your own, you can put him over a Delaware or other silver breed and get sex link chicks, that you can sell. I don't know what you'd do with the males but you might be able to sell those too.

Quote:
If I were to get RIR's I'd get the Rosecomb variety. You being in AL could do the single combs. There are some very nice dark RIR's. Plus if you hatch your own, you can put him over a Delaware or other silver breed and get sex link chicks, that you can sell. I don't know what you'd do with the males but you might be able to sell those too.
Most of the hens I have now are RIR which is why he wants a RIR roo. I can understand and follow through with that for him. Ron sent me some eggs a few years ago and only 3 of the 6 hatched. 2 died young and the roo I had left ended up starving. He was a sweetheart and my hens are pretty mean. They wouldn't let him eat. I figured out the hard way that I can't have heritage birds with them.

We currently are in a situation where the DD and hers were going to move in. We're older and I told them we're most likely going to leave them the house. He does construction so he could make some changes. Too we hope to travel part of the year.

BUT they have their dream of moving out even farther than we are. Planning on an inlaw apartment. I know they love us and we love them.

But that is not our dream. It's just to cold and snowy. Our church is here and we've friends there we've had for nearly 40 years. I volunteer at the school once or twice a week or at least I did before DW got sick.

I was thinking of my mother being dumped with eight kids and wonder how it was for her to watch her dream slip away as she aged. I understand her much better now. Plus she didn't have the Lord to guide her.

Everyone has their dream. Parents, kids and so on. We are not all the Waltons unfortunately. I don't know if John grew up in the house he lived in. Some kids fly away and if you're lucky one stays and embraces your dream or modifies it to an acceptable level.

I just don't see my SIL building anything. I can't see it happening. They're always short, because of his career choice. Construction is a seasonal thing here. I've talked to them about moving to AL but his parents are here too. They're pains in the butt. Don't follow through on what they say their going to do types. So is my SIL and can't be counted on.

So Rad, if you don't plan to live with your parents for your entire life, make a plan on how that is going to change. Save money and give up some of your wants temporarily. Live frugal for awhile. Write it down and post it.

My dream is this and this is my plan on how I'm going to get there. You wouldn't plan a trip across the country without a map right? Your dream is your destination. Your map is how you plan to get there. (When I get there, I'll raise chickens, until then I'll have to wait)

1. ?

2.?

I'll be praying for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom