ALABAMA!!

I wish one of my hens would go broody.
hmm.png
Out of my 3 oldest only one has ever gone broody and that's been a few years. I kinda miss my game chickens.

My Dels don't go broody, but my EE's and Marans do. I have one Light Sussex hen who goes broody too. You only need a couple hens.
wink.png

I like my Lt. Sussex. Big Delores we call her. I expect a RIR rooster over a lt.. Sussex would be the same as a RIR rooster over a Delaware and give you sex linked chicks.

I have 4 RIR hens and not one of them ever goes broody. My Dom hen is fairly young. She didn't moult last year when the others were exploding. An RIR/BA and her mom, Jazzy the BA. No one goes broody.
he.gif
It's pretty frustrating when I have a roo, which I don't have at the moment. I swear they only kinda like me.
lol.png
Oooh I had a Dom hen who went broody in the dead of winter. She hatched both her eggs and was terror of a momma. You did not want to mess with her kids.

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm going to say this.. but I am starting to rethink the whole raising muscovy thing. The area they've been in for two weeks is a MESS. That's 4 ducks in a 30 x 100 ft grassy area... I cant imagine having ducklings in there too. And it smells uh... farmy. It blended in when they were with the chickens. And I'm sure now they're of reproductive age things change in smell, most animals do. It's not BAD, just not really backyard appropriate.

They also girdled my new apple tree overnight
he.gif
I had no idea ducks even did that. They were supposed to be gentle on plants. Go eat grass and weeds, dummies!

I'm not 100% set on rehoming them, BUT if I were to find a better home I would consider it. They're lovely animals, but not as suited for my neighborhood as I once thought, I need land first
tongue.png
There, I said it, I'm admitting my overzealousness.

Wisher, want some muscovy?
wink.png
lol.png

I can't believe I'm going to say this.. but I am starting to rethink the whole raising muscovy thing. The area they've been in for two weeks is a MESS. That's 4 ducks in a 30 x 100 ft grassy area... I cant imagine having ducklings in there too. And it smells uh... farmy. It blended in when they were with the chickens. And I'm sure now they're of reproductive age things change in smell, most animals do. It's not BAD, just not really backyard appropriate.

They also girdled my new apple tree overnight
he.gif
I had no idea ducks even did that. They were supposed to be gentle on plants. Go eat grass and weeds, dummies!

I'm not 100% set on rehoming them, BUT if I were to find a better home I would consider it. They're lovely animals, but not as suited for my neighborhood as I once thought, I need land first
tongue.png
There, I said it, I'm admitting my overzealousness.

wink.png
lol.png

I didn't get muscovy because they're fliers so I heard. We have a creek border out property. Plus they're not prolific layers. I had Swedish but traded them for C.Rocks. I was not prepared for them. Ducks are very busy birds. Need a lot to keep them busy.

wink.png
lol.png

Uh... no.

I have a Blue/Black Splash Ameracauna rooster and hen, as well as two Blue Wheaten Ameraucana hens. If I hatch the Splash girl's eggs, the chicks will all be B/B Splash. If I hatch the BW hens' eggs, the chicks will be full Ameraucana, but not a recognized variety (mixed B/B/S an BW.) I have NO IDEA what color they would be, but they would be blue egg layers.

Now, the question........ I have over a dozen pretty blue eggs that I have gotten this past week and it is all I can do not to stick them in the incubator. If I DID, would any of you be interested in the chicks?

Quote:
Uh... no.

I have a Blue/Black Splash Ameracauna rooster and hen, as well as two Blue Wheaten Ameraucana hens. If I hatch the Splash girl's eggs, the chicks will all be B/B Splash. If I hatch the BW hens' eggs, the chicks will be full Ameraucana, but not a recognized variety (mixed B/B/S an BW.) I have NO IDEA what color they would be, but they would be blue egg layers.

Now, the question........ I have over a dozen pretty blue eggs that I have gotten this past week and it is all I can do not to stick them in the incubator. If I DID, would any of you be interested in the chicks?
I wish :p I could get some. Your roos always turn out so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom