ALABAMA!!

I have two of these...
stock-photo-chemical-containers-90085267.jpg
Not my photo -

I have no running water at my coops and about twice a year I will run several 100' garden hoses out to the coops to fill these. I use the water for the birds, cleaning equipment, washing hands, etc.

We bought them from a friend's dad who had a flood and they floated away into a wooded area. He didn't want to go get them so he sold them to us for $50 but we had to drag them out of the woods. I love them and always keep my eyes out for more.

We built a rack for each that raises them off the ground about 2'. Its enough to get a bucket under the valve and makes it possible to stand while filling stuff. We also had to replace the valves and I connected a short hose with a shut off on the end.

If you had one of these, you could keep a pan(s) under it and just fill it daily. I have considered leaving the valve open enough for a slow drip into a pan, but have never tried that.

Last edited:
I have some issues with those tanks- the place where i work cuts them up and disposes of them, môstly to keep from being sued. They are listed all over Craigslist from $50 to $80. Cleaned ones around $100. Cleaned from what? If they are not food grade, i'll pass. Clorox and baking soda just not what i think has sterlizing from acids adhesives and other chemicałs. I might be wrong but i am safe. My dogs and livestock are safe. This doesn't mean a creek is safer. Those tanks are purpose built for shipping and storing the above. Many of them from the Auto industry.
Your method of standing them up helps with gravity feed. I'd really whould like to tie our house gutter system to one or two. I just don't trust the residues in them.

I understand your point, completely. I washed these tanks myself, several times. I used soap, scrubbed and rinsed. I then used clorox, scrubbed and rinsed. I used baking soda, scrubbed and rinsed. I used vinegar, scrubbed and rinsed, and finally, I put them in the sun to dry and rotated them so all sides were up at one point and the vinegar smell was gone (about two weeks.) I would drink out of them, and have!

I have terrible news! (Well technically it could go either way) we are mocing to portland for my husband's work and have to sell all of our silkies and sizzles. We have been working on these genetics for years! Local and Minkner genetics. We love these birds, but it is far too hotto ship them, and it isnt goinf to be feasible for them to join us on our 5 days uhaul journey across country, so we have deided to sell everyone! We are in walker county Alabama, and these are my babies. I would like for them to go to a nice home. They are gorgeous birds. We are on F6 with the newest sizzle generation. My name is Jin. And please fe free to send me a text if you, or anyone you know may be interested. 251-610-9442 thanks! We plan to take some hatching egsgs with us and hopefully continue breeding in oregon. I can text or email pictures. [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom