ALABAMA!!

I live below Cullman and buy from Tractor Supply Company, Cullman Co-op, Morgan Supply in Hartselle, Kimberly Feed store, Murray McMurray and friends, for a while at a flea mall near Blountsville, but that was a long time back, not sure if they are still there? Used to Mountain Top used to have a few and there is an Amish Bakery near Hartselle that sells cakes, eggs and chicks and I want to go there, soon:)! I am dying to incubate eggs. Currently just moved, DH building pen, raising 15 girls, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, ISA brown, red star, black star and California White- never had hybrid? Types, but absolutely adore the Red stars- funny, friendly, smart, the little ISA, I only have one, heard they don't live but couple years and just wanted to see what was going on- so far super cute and sweet, but hoping she lives longer, the California Whites are pretty, few hybrids, few old timers, 8 Banties (5 feather foot) and one Full grown Delaware? Rooster:) Happy Hens and Roos to you:)! Glad to have found this site.

Last edited:
Hello, Bellsp! Welcome to BYC and the ALABAMA!! thread. We are happy you are here, too. Thanks for the rundown on your situation, it's fun to hear what others have. My cluckers are all listed in my signature, and I shop at our local TSC and a mom-n-pop feed store. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with, we are a friendly bunch here.

Oh, and by the way, you have to choose..... will it be "ROLL TIDE!!" or that other place?
tongue.png

Thanks Wisher1000 for the welcome:)! I really enjoy this site and all the information! How fun on the chicken site football is a hot topic:)! I am a Bama girl by birth- my Grandma wouldn't have had it any other way! If you came in her den and the Bear was on you better just stand there quiet until commercial and then I married a huge Alabama fan and we have been yelling Roll Tide for 29 years, so Bama it is for me:)!

Buddy- Brittany Spaniel Mix that just showed up and made himself at home:)! The rooster is another rescue from a friend:)! He was a bit too much too for them:)! We love him and I am checking on the Delaware forum? But, I think he looks like a Delaware and hope he is, regardless we think he is the greatest:)! We call him Rooster, because he just is- lol - all rooster! Funny and very loyal,most people are scared because he is huge and he doesn't take any flak, but my husband has made a pet out of him and picks him up and pets him like a dog. If he turns out to be a Delaware I am thinking about getting him some Delaware hens, if not I am just going G to pick out the next rooster that reminds me of him and it will carry on the Rooster dynasty- lol!

Thanks Wisher1000 for the welcome:)! I really enjoy this site and all the information! How fun on the chicken site football is a hot topic:)! I am a Bama girl by birth- my Grandma wouldn't have had it any other way! If you came in her den and the Bear was on you better just stand there quiet until commercial and then I married a huge Alabama fan and we have been yelling Roll Tide for 29 years, so Bama it is for me:)!

Buddy- Brittany Spaniel Mix that just showed up and made himself at home:)! The rooster is another rescue from a friend:)! He was a bit too much too for them:)! We love him and I am checking on the Delaware forum? But, I think he looks like a Delaware and hope he is, regardless we think he is the greatest:)! We call him Rooster, because he just is- lol - all rooster! Funny and very loyal,most people are scared because he is huge and he doesn't take any flak, but my husband has made a pet out of him and picks him up and pets him like a dog. If he turns out to be a Delaware I am thinking about getting him some Delaware hens, if not I am just going G to pick out the next rooster that reminds me of him and it will carry on the Rooster dynasty- lol!

I can't say roll tide.... But I will toss out a great big WAR EAGLE!!!!
Yesterday was A-day game and we took the kids and just relaxed all day...

Hello! I'm in Bibb County, Alabama. I have way too many chickens, but love them! I started with Buffs and a few RIR's. About a month ago, I ordered 50 rare breed chicks from Meyer Hatchery (of which, 42 are still alive). Overall, I have about 70 chickens. Unfortunately, many of my egg customers are asking for colored eggs. I know that I have one cream legbar in my baby chick batch, but I'm not sure how far I can stretch one blue egg a day... I'm looking for Easter Eggers, Ameraucana (sp?), Olive Eggers and Black Copper Marans. (Honestly, I'm good with any type of colored egg layer. I'm okay with bantams as long as they are able to 'hang' with the big girls!) I'd rather not drive over an hour in any direction - with the exception being the Montgomery area (in-laws live there so a trip is possible!). I don't know what my rare breeds are, but will be trading some of them once I figure out what I have. By the end of my shuffling, I hope to maintain about 75 chickens (with occasional meat birds cycling through). We have a huge fully enclosed chicken yard (that our "neighbors" - many acres over - jokingly refer to as the Taj Mahal Atrium) and will be adding a run into a larger area to give them more room during the daytime after our littles are fully grown.

I'm also searching for ducks. I may break down and buy whatever TSC has for sale this week - but they never seem to know what they have... I do NOT want the runners, but am open to most other breeds. I'm looking for meat and egg producers. The ducks I'm currently thinking about are Rouens, Muscovy, White Pekin and Cayuga (again, colored eggs lol). I have not owned ducks before, but I think I'm ready and I have the room for it (and have started the duck house).

We also have Nigerian Dwarf goats and will be getting rabbits this week!

Back
Top Bottom