ALABAMA!!

I wish I could tell you my coop plans. I really want an predator proof basement so my chicks have an safe outdoor space while we are gone for overnight trips I like this for a plan, but it need modifications for me. Ihttp://thetanglednest.com/2010/02/our-urban-chicken-coop-plan/ Dh has his own ideas, so who knows what we may end up with. He said I couldn't spend $500 on a coop for $4 chickens, so we have gathered supplies around the house and I have picked up shingles and linoleum at Habitat Restore, but he talks about pullout drawers for cleaning and a walk in coop. Who know what we will have???

My first coop was made that way, and I didn't like it because the basement was too hard to clean out. I suggest that you build it off the ground, put your food and water beneath it and build a small, secured run that is attached. If you own your property, you may as well go ahead and build a coop and run that are covered, and big enough to fully enclose and add a bigger outdoor run. This because of something called "chicken math," you will find out what that is later.

Last edited:
My first coop was made that way, and I didn't like it because the basement was too hard to clean out.  I suggest that you build it off the ground, put your food and water beneath it and build a small, secured run that is attached. 

Thank you! I am looking for all input! First time chicken owner and coop builder here, so I would LOVE to hear what you would do differently, and what works and doesn't.

I would suggest at least an 6'x10' area covered, and secured. That would hold 6 large fowl chickens full time. Because we live in Alabama, we are much more concerned with keeping them cool in the summer than protecting them from cold in the winter. You don't have to enclose it, just one end, and make sure you can stand up inside.

Came home to some happy chics. Wish I could tell the sex but still unsure. Getting the big coop ready!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom