ALABAMA!!

When it gets really hot, and we all know that is often in our state, I recommend that you provide a pool or at least a pan of water for them to stand in. It will get nasty and have to be changed often, but you will see that they spend a lot of time in it. Only put a couple of inches of water in the bottom, we don't want them swimming, and add a way for them to climb in and out. I like to stack bricks to make steps. Another tip is to collect 20 ounce drink bottles and fill them two thirds of the way with water and store them in the freezer on their sides. Drop one in each waterer to keep it cool and change them as needed. You could also put a milk jug, with ice in it, in the pool. I am lucky that I have a spring that runs through the woods between my coops. My chickens spend the whole summer there. I have also built my coops with wire on the top half of the walls, all the way around. That way, they have protection from wind and some shade on the floor and cross breezes on the roosts. If needed, I can put up a tarp or plastic for winter storms, but I don't have to do that every winter, just sometimes.

I free range during the day lots of waterers out for them

Frozen watermelon halfs when it gets really Alabama Hot

Last edited:
yes there is a ban still in effect. I was told by the dept. Of agraculture that we can sell out of our homes but not at anything with a group environment. We can sell chicks,eggs and chickens. Call state dept of agraculture 334-240-7100 to be sure.

The ban has been lifted we all in bama can sell chickens again.

Any tips for keeping birds cool in our climate? I don't have electricity running to my coop, so fans aren't an option. I did situate the coop and run so that they get afternoon shade, and I made sure to allow for plenty of ventilation. Other ideas? I'm trying to plan ahead, as we've already had several days in the upper 80s here this spring. 

Put treats in ice cube trays, pour water, and freeze! Or make a big block of ice with treats for em to peck at.

Put treats in ice cube trays, pour water, and freeze! Or make a big block of ice with treats for em to peck at.

Oh my girls do like that..... I take a 6 hole muffin tin and pour the cheapest can of corn in it I can find. Freeze it in the freezer and pop out a couple at a time. They love pecking at that and I'm just guessing that it helps cool them off. :) Either way they enjoy the heck out of it. :)

Thanks for the tips! I don't think my landlord would be on board with me setting up a mister, but a shallow pool sounds like a great idea. I'll also try some frozen treats and see how that goes.

I set the coop and run up so that they are fully shaded in the afternoon, as you can see in this picture. As long as there's a breeze, it stays pretty comfortable. The morning sun is pretty brutal, but I figured that was the lesser of two evils.

Back
Top Bottom