ALABAMA!!

If your chickens have shelter from the wind and rain I don't think you can get too cold here in the deep south for healthy adult chickens. ;) That is not to say you shouldn't prepare for cold weather.

My little Easter Egger, Ethel, is such a rock star. She started her first adult molt last month, looked like death for weeks, and is already laying again! My Speckled Sussex molted in September and is showing no signs of starting back any time soon. Of my summer chicks (20 and 24 weeks old), one - the Rhode Island Red - started laying two weeks ago. It's great to have a steady supply of eggs again! My breakfasts have been pretty boring for the last couple of months.

Hope everyone is staying warm this weekend! We got a whopping 1/2" of snow here in Auburn...the girls were not impressed at first, but then they decided that snow was a delicious new treat. They're quite an odd group!

If anyone is looking to add a pair of point-of-lay pullets to their flock this winter, I've decided to sell my Black Australorp (26 weeks) and Olive Egger (22 weeks; assumed to be a Crested Cream Legbar/Welsummer cross due to phenotype) girls. I put them on Craigslist but wanted to also mention them here, just in case.

BAC75D02-0371-46A5-A5DB-0BB310D2D428.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom