ALABAMA!!

I havent had a chance to go through this whole thread but I figured Id chime in with my intro real Quick. We live in Crenshaw county. Ive seen a few people here from montgomery, dothan, and coffee county (where Im originally from). Its awsome to know there are so many chicken people around here. Im super new to chickens. The only ones Ive ever had were 4 I got from the Relay for Life that ConAgra had brought up there. They were all died different colors. I thought it was so cool but when they got bigger I had to give them away because they were gettin too big to keep in the house. Now me and DH are gettin ready to do some homesteading and want to add some chickens. Id love to find people close by that could lend me advice and maybe even get together. Id love to get some hands on learning when it comes to buthering chickens since we will be using ours for both meat and eggs. I have tons of questions but theyll have to wait for a bit for now.

Welcome dragonmorgan! I'm north of you in Alabama Good Luck with your chickens I just have a small flock of silkies and barred rocks. My silkies are for show and tell (haha) and my barred rocks lays wonderful eggs. Its nice to meet ya and I hope you do wonderful with your chickens

Im new to navgatin this site and Im havin trouble finding the right place to post my questions. We are still in the planning/coop building phase and Im startin my research on what kind of chickens we want. I want something that is easy to care for and can handle the heat and humidity. Im thinking of Plymouth Rocks and Road Island Reds. We are wanting mainly an egg breed but one that can double as a meat breed if we need it to. Are they good breeds for this climate? I dont know anyone around here with chickens to ask. thanks

I like my barred rocks I did lots of research on layer chickens and found out that they are very hardy birds. I have five hens and I get either 4 or 5 eggs a day from them. I didn't get alot during November and December and I believe its because I had them in a 6x9 pen and they went on a strike! It could have sommething to do with light also as they need so much light during winter to keep laying. I do have a rooster and he's very protective of his ladies. I watch him cause he'll get ya. The austrlorp rooster that I had was not as mean though he was much easier to deal with. I haven't had rir but I hear them roosters can be aggressive also. I like to keep a rooster for protection of my hens.Some don't want to eat a fertile egg, however I can't tell the difference when I eat them. During the summer they seem to do fine also the stay in the dirt under a tree and seem very happy. I don't know anything about eating them, I have raised mine from babies just couldn't eat them. Good luck with your chickens!

Hey all!!!!!

I posted before in this thread. I'm working on building my coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-shed-coop

I can not find any cochins around here.

Are any of you selling chicks? I can drive to pick up within reason.

I want large fowl females and bantam males.

I want all colors and flavors!!

I do not have ANY chickens yet.

If any of you have some for sale please PM me! :)

Hey all!!!!!

I posted before in this thread. I'm working on building my coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-shed-coop

I can not find any cochins around here.

Are any of you selling chicks? I can drive to pick up within reason.

I want large fowl females and bantam males.

I want all colors and flavors!!

I do not have ANY chickens yet.

If any of you have some for sale please PM me! :)
You don't say where you are in Al. I might have some ideas for you in the Bham area.

Anyone gettin chicks from TS chick days? I wont be able to until next week and im hopin they get some barred rocks in. I live in covington county so im keepin a watch on the andalusia, troy, and montgomery stotes. Just wondering if anyones plannin any swaps in alabama since all the stores seem to be different? Does that make sense? Like, for example, if someone elses TS has bar rocks and mine has somethin someone else wants we could meet up and swap if it wasnt too far of a drive.

Back
Top Bottom