all chickens killed by unknown predator.

Your predator could be any of the above, and trapping it is a good idea. Upgrade your security; it's cheaper than constantly replacing birds! Check out your local farm store, and 'premier1supplies.com' is the best for both information, helpful advice on the phone, and great supplies. I've also got horses and cattle, so have lots of fencing and a very big fence charger. You only touch the fence once, and never again! Too weak a charge will easily short out on weeds and be useless, while too large will be a waste of money for a short length of fence. Electrified poultry netting is really useful too. Mary

Last edited:
I am almost certain it wasn't a dog, because the predator climbed up on top of the run, clawed through the netting, came down, killed the chickens, and forced a small hole in the chicken wire. in our neighbors the predator, ripped the chicken wire off the frame, and in the most recent one, it killed one and dragged it away, and injured another, it might be a fox though,

This morning both the traps had been set off with nothing inside them, and all the bait was gone in one, and the food trail to the other was eaten, what could have gotten in, set off the trap, ate the food and then got out again?

Sounds like it could be a raccoon. They can pull wire and avoid traps pretty handily. I've only dealt with them and dogs, so not too familiar with other predators.

I would have said dog too, but dogs aren't very good climbers. They're the only thing I've ever heard of that will kill a chicken and not eat it, and possibly chew their heads off. So that is puzzling.

There is a lot of "hardware cloth" out there (from plastic, to really flimsy metal worse than chicken wire, to very strong metal) -- most of it is not secure enough. When people say "hardware cloth" on here, they really mean heavy duty wire mesh. You want 16 gauge or better.

Allright, we will get enough of the real hardware cloth to cover the whole thing, and some electric wire, hatcheries have to ship lots of chicks at once right, they can't just do a few? is there a way to pick up less instead? is their any hatcheries near layton utah?

Yes, some have no minimum. But you will be paying a lot in shipping, so it's more cost effective to order more at once. Last time I checked the shipping was around $40.

Feed stores often carry chicks, and might be able to order the ones you want. Open up google maps and do a search for "feed store" or "farm supplies" and you might just find something close.

would we be able to order 4 or five chicks? the shipping is fine, all of the stores I have tried don't have them now I will look again. I checked as many places as I can find and they only stock in the spring, how would I contact a breeder? do they still breed now?

If you want really good heritage stock, go to the American Poultry Association breed clubs page, http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/BC_Links.htm . Then you can find the club for the breeds you are interested in and start contacting breeders. Expect to pay more money than you would for typical hatchery birds though.
Ideal Poultry's only requirement is that you order at least $25 worth of chicks. Cackle Hatchery has a City/Town special were you can order just a few pullets. The shipping is free but it does cost a bit more. Meyer Hatchery has a 3 chick minimum.

would we be able to order 4 or five chicks? the shipping is fine,  all of the stores I have tried don't have them now I will look again. I checked as many places as I can find and they only stock in the spring, how would I contact a breeder? do they still breed now?

Sometimes craigslist works. I sometimes get rid of my extra pullets there. They are good birds for backyard flocks, just not what I want in my flock, they may be the wrong color, a crooked toe, just something I decided I don't want to breed.

Back
Top Bottom