all chickens killed by unknown predator.

In the summertime, it is perfectly safe to only get that many. If there is one breed in particular that you really want, order two just in case one turns out to be an accidental cockerel. Sexing is 90% accurate, but that 10% always winds up being the one chick that you really wanted.

yeah thats just what happened with our last batch, our polish silver lace, which was everyones favorite, and had the awesomest hairdo,.... was a guy. the problem is my parent will only let me get four, with one already a boy right now we are at a , 75% accurate ratio, hopefully that means we will get all girls, we set the traps, this time all the food was gone and the traps were not activated what is going on? they are messing with us.

yeah thats just what happened with our last batch, our polish silver lace, which was everyones favorite, and had the awesomest hairdo,.... was a guy. the problem is my parent will only let me get four, with one already a boy right now we are at a , 75% accurate ratio, hopefully that means we will get all girls, we set the traps, this time all the food was gone and the traps were not activated what is going on? they are messing with us.

I don't know what size traps or what bait you are using, but is it possible something is eating the bait that isn't big enough to spring the two?

Possibly, but it could also just not be stepping on the pressure pad, I think I will try putting it in a jar and balancing it precariously so if anything touches it it falls on pad. but this is crazy.

we have been putting it all the way back, the problem is the animal (if it were smart enough) could just step over the pressure pad, I think I will try hanging it above the pad so if the animal tries to get it then, it will drop on the pad. we bought 100 ft of hardware cloth, it is expensive. we will get the electric fencing soon too, we are hoping to get the chicks on friday next week.

Sometimes craigslist works. I sometimes get rid of my extra pullets there. They are good birds for backyard flocks, just not what I want in my flock, they may be the wrong color, a crooked toe, just something I decided I don't want to breed.
Good suggestion. I've seen a number of backyard breeders in my area on Craigslist.

Lol, current adult count-37
Current hatch count still on premises (this year) - umm, 60? And counting..... And this was a bad year.

And I don't consider myself a breeder.
I'm not saying you, specifically. I just meant that you reminded me that there are a good number of people that regularly sell chicks on Craigslist for extra income.

Back
Top Bottom